Wilson's school - dropping age standardisation?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
999 mum

Wilson's school - dropping age standardisation?

Post by 999 mum »

Hi,

I was reading the FAQ's at the school website and noticed that they are not making any allowance for age. Is this something new for this year or has it always been like this?

I am concerned that the other grammar schools will slowly stop making allowances for age as well.
menagerie

Re: Wilson's school - dropping age standardisation?

Post by menagerie »

Hmm. I hope not. Summer born children are disadvantaged enough as it is without this too. My husband told me nearly all major sports personalities are born in the first half of the academic year. Among their peers, being taller, stronger and a bit more co-ordinated, they are the ones that get picked for teams and extra coaching. My sons are in the top sets at school but both are summer born and the September/October boys definitely have the edge.
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

Wallington is giving extra points to Summer born children but Wilsons states categorically that it is not. I was quite surprised by this as it has been traditional to take age into account but must confess I am not convinced that a September birth automatically conveys advantage over an August birth necessarily. I should imagine there are other things in early life that could have more of an impact - a very premature birth or early hearing problems that delay language for example and none of these are taken into account.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Loopylou that's a fair comment. There are so many variables. When you take them all into account, you end up with a comprehensive school!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now