Wilsons Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mynameisbond

Wilsons Test

Post by mynameisbond »

Anyone whose son sat this test last year who can give a run-down on whether the Maths is standard or multiple choice and what format the English takes. Their website simply says Maths and English. I know its a comp and essay but wondered if there were any other English-type questions in there such as there are in the NFER papers and whether comp is also multi-choice ? Any info gratefully received.

Many thanks
mynameisbond

Re: Wilsons Test

Post by mynameisbond »

Really desperate to know the answer to this one - I see that 130 people have looked at my post but nobody has replied - please please let me know if you know anything. I am very surprised at how quiet the forum is in relation to the boys grammars, apart from Tiffin. Am very happy to answer any queries re Tiffin Girls ie exam, starting the school etc.....here's hoping.

Many thanks
svg123

Post by svg123 »

I am also waiting to hear from past parents.
I think its standard format by looking at the following on their website:

There are two elements: an English test (comprehension and extended writing exercise) and a Mathematics test (short and long questions based on solving problems). Each test lasts 45 minutes.
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

I don't know either I'm afraid. They dropped the VR part of the test this year so last year's format may not be followed anyway - they may beef up the maths and English components to better test those areas now the VR element is not taken into account. I got the impression it wasn’t multiple choice from the website which mentioned a mix of long and short problems in maths. But I suppose they could offer multiple choice answers to a lengthy maths problem.
I sometimes think the main benefit to having got a tutor would be having the inside track on all of the exam formats – do tutors do that?
But since they’ve changed the exam in one respect this year, I wouldn’t necessarily rely on the rest of it remaining unchanged anyway.
I still want to know if DS will be allowed to make marks (underline words) on the comprehension paper since this was banned in the mock test. I still haven't managed to find out.
vasu

Post by vasu »

From Wilson's website:http://www.wilsonsschool.sutton.sch.uk/ ... sions.html
There are two elements: an English test (comprehension and extended writing exercise) and a Mathematics test (short and long questions based on solving problems). Each test lasts 45 minutes.
I think there will be mental maths and problems which require working out on paper. I do not think it will be MC. :(
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
svg123

Post by svg123 »

Does anyone know the sort of creative writing tasks asked in the past exams?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Could anyone shed any light on what format the exam took this year? Was any of it multiple choice? Was there mental maths and problem solving? Was it a comprehension passage that one had to 'continue' for the extended writing exercise or some other kind of writing; or a choice? Were you allowed to underline words etc on the comprehension paper; was there any paper for 'working out'?

Any insight into exam format would be really helpful. Or any insights into the school at all (academically; pastorally). There rarely seem to be any Wilson's threads or Wilson parents commenting.

many thanks :D
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

Have a look here for some info on the writing element.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 93#p294593" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WOTMum

Post by WOTMum »

Hello mynameisbond - I hope you have got the answers you were looking for re. Wilsons. Taking you up on your offer to answer questions - my daughter will be starting Tiffin Girls in September. They had a welcome evening for new Year 7s a few weeks ago and it was mentioned that many of the girls did catch the bus (65) down Richmond Rd to and from the bus and train stations whereas I had assumed they would all be full?! I am getting my daughter in training to walk to and from the rail station each day (she walks home from school a similar distance now) but wondered if the bus was truly an option? Surely when they all come out together at 3.45 there must be a scramble to get on? I know they come regularly but with a train to catch at 4.10 which only runs half hourly i need to know she'll be there in time, not standing hopefully at the back of a very long bus queue. Any help or advice on this or any other tips gratefully received. The evening itslef allayed many of our concerns anyway.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now