Crazy! Tiffin Admission 2014!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaysDarlin

Re: Crazy! Tiffin Admission 2014!!

Post by JaysDarlin »

The reason I made the cards was not to have the kids learn the stuff by rote, but to have a place where everything in the category could be visualised. I find that being able to see a picture of the word I'm explaining helps them lodge it in their memory, as opposed to just giving the definition of thew word. Taking the trees card as example, the kids can learn that confiers and firs are longer and thinner trees, also knowing the particular fruits of the tree, eg acorn, conker. You're right, menagerie, they could learn them as they come across them when reading/living etc, I just found the cards as a great way to be able to access all the different types in one place. One picture can also open up topical conversations, drawing attention to toehr things in the card. There may be some things they dont really come across depending on what their intetrests are, such as different types of fabric, tools, gardening aparatus, boats.. 'Here let me show you what an anvil/hod/awl/pestle&mortar/mast of a boat looks like'. They are reminiscent of 'Baby's first words' picture books.

The other day my son came across the word 'plough'. I will add that picture too (maybe gardening, as i dont have one for farming), so next time he comes across the word, he will have a visual picture to go with it.

We play memory games with them. Look at them for a few mins and then say what we remember, etc. Or we just use them for conversation. We found these cards helpful for the Type 2/B/Related words (blue yellow sun moon green). And also when we come across other words we didnt know in the11+ practice papers (im sure we came across 'awl' in the Type 6/F/Missing word (comPUTer), we added those words, too.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

The collective nouns do come up in Type 10/M/Word connections (time is to second as...). eg flock is to sheep as herd is to cows
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Those picture cards sound brilliant. As soon as my DS sees a picture, he stops thinking it's 'work'!! :wink:
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
laretta

Post by laretta »

Hi Jaysdarlin

I've just looked at the link you've posted for your categories! I wish I'd found it sooner.
What a nice way to learn, I know my DD will find them a refreshing break from general 11+ prep.

Thank you for sharing.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Thanks for the explanation JaysD. That sounds far more appealing than the dull flashcard learning idea I had in mind for the categories! If your DC doesn't get in, I'll be amazed.

Why are you so concerned that you got it wrong last time, if they both made it through?
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

When I recall the intense studying we did with ds1, I shudder. When I recall ds2's time, my heart rate quickens, I catch my breath and start to shake!

And ds2 got in by the skin of his teeth.
ant100

Post by ant100 »

JaysDarlin wrote:Okay folks, think me not crazy. My son has just gone into Year 4, he is my ds3. My other two sons are at Tiffin, and those who know me on this site should know by know that I am prone to panicking and forgetting dates.

So. I am going to start another year early! Last year I started at the beginning of year 5. This time, Im starting in year 4, to avoid repetitions of previous disasters.

I dont want to alarm anyone, we wont be touching any papers. But we will be doing all our ground work.

So, thinking and typing out loud, here's a rough timetable we will be following. This has been taken from a previous post (http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 0&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) it's what I did with ds2.

Weekly Plan:

Mon-Fri

1) Category Cards = 3 (I have made picture category cards for every category imaginable, (vehicles, birds, cats, cooking utensils, tools, musical instruments, etc) and for example, the 'Tree' card has pictures of all the types of trees we have ever come across) and we use these games to play memory games.
2) First Aid Pages = 2
3) Writing, once a week
4) Reading to mum (electronic dictionary at hand, ruler to underline unknown words and pen to write definition in the margin, plus notepad to make a list of words for new flashcards)
5) Bonds Maths papers

Weekend:

1) Flash Cards = 14 new cards and testing previous cards
2) Times Tables, once a week (15 minute drill)
3) Mental Arithmetic once a week.(15 minute drill)
4) Reading to mum

(If anyone would like the flash cards or worksheets I have prepared, please email me)

I am planning to do a session a day, and two sessions on Weekends, which will include any homework from school. I think if I do this for the whole year, it will give him a good base for year 5.

Anyone else around? Who knows if there will even be an 11+ for Tiffin in 2014!

:lol:
ant100

Post by ant100 »

jayDarlin

I WOULD LOVE THE FLASH CARDS PLS
Moody Margaret

Post by Moody Margaret »

Hi Jays

This sounds ideal for my son who has seen his sister get into Slough, but needs a gentle push on the road to GS

please email me the flashcards

regards
leafysurrey

Post by leafysurrey »

Hi All and JaysDarlin who made me slightly nervous and inspired at the same time!!! I'm new to the Grammar route battle but reading your posts I feel very much at home. I wondered if anyone made a transition from an independent school to grammar at 11+ and how was the difference apart from the saving. (Academically, socially etc). My DD is in year 5 but her independent doesn't do 11+ prep.

Also how do Nonsuch, Tiffins compare?

Thank you for your thoughts in advance.