WCGS for boys - Reading Book

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shailesh

WCGS for boys - Reading Book

Post by shailesh »

All,

Yesterday I have received the exam detail letter from WCGS, they are requesting to bring reading book. I would like to know do we need to take any reading book for exam? for what purpose they are requesting book?

Many thanks in advance

Regards,
shailesh
loopylou

Re: WCGS for boys - Reading Book

Post by loopylou »

I think it is to keep them occupied if they have a break between tests. I imagine that they won't sit all papers in one go and will have an interval at some point. The book being optional indicates that it isn't likely to form part of the exam. I don;t know for certain though - that was just my guess from reading the letter.
shailesh

Post by shailesh »

Hello loopylou,

Many thanks for quick response. I too think it will not be part of actual exam and your logic makes perfect sense. I read letter again it doesn't mention reading book is optional though.

content of letter

All necessary writing equipment will be provided by the school. DS need not bring anything with him except the completed desk form attached, a reading book, and if he wishes,a small bottle of water.

Regards,
shailesh
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

I'm pretty sure the reading book is to keep them quiet and occupied, and relatively solitary between papers, so they don't start comparing notes and getting nervous.
wildlaulau

Post by wildlaulau »

I agree with menagerie about the reading book.

Wondering whether all the questions are mc in VR, Eng and Maths now - easier marking for them and more time for them to really look at the boys' essays I guess...I'm feeling nervous now but also thinking there's not a lot more we can do!
shailesh

Post by shailesh »

All, Many thanks for response and clarifying my doubts over reading book. I too think Maths,VR and NVR are multiple choice for computer marking.

Regards,

shailesh
svg123

Post by svg123 »

Why there are not many posts for WCGS or Wilsons?
Anyways, I too think reading book is just for the sake of keeping boys busy when they are done with the paper.
The instruction guidelines says that there may be some components of MC, but I think apart from the writing piece, rest everything will be MC. But, who knows.
Anyone planning to travel from North London to WCGS this weekend?
Also, any last minute tips for the exam?

Thanks and Good luck all.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Good luck to all sitting the Surrey grammars this term.

We'll be in your position next year. I also noticed that there's not a lot of chat about Wilson's and Wallington on the forums. And Sutton Boys almost never gets mentioned at all. Why is that? Where are all the WillyWally parents? :D
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

Probably out reserving their car parking spaces for Saturday if the letter is anything to go by :lol:

It has been quite quiet. I guess at this stage everyone is just waiting for the tests to get underway and looking towards them all being over and done with reasonably quickly. This year the last test is in November - much earlier than in previous years. I think I am actually glad that this is the case. I know friends with children doing indie tests as well as all the grammar ones have a long 5 months ahead of them!

Has anybody had their Wilsons letter yet? I would like to know the test time so I can see whether DS will need a day off school. Or is it normal for them to have the day off regardless? Not many boys in DS's year group will be sitting the exam even though we are local so I don't really have anybody to ask. And of course if I ask DS he will tell me unequivocally that everyone gets a whole day off!!
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

WillyWally parent here - as requested!

From memory there is a break between some of the papers and it would be within the ethos of the school that they would try to get the boys to relax and have something to do in their downtime if they don't feel like talking to anybody else - a chance to take themselves away from the exams and lose themselves in a book.

From memory I think DS also got given a biscuit, but don't count on that!

We got there quite early and DS was allowed in immediatly we arrived and then taken off by the sixth formers that are on duty. They try hard to calm everybody on the day.

Hopefully the weather will be fine. The Exam Cafe - set out on the playing fields - is a place to sit, enjoy a coffee/cake and chat to other parents while you wait. The headmaster & admissions officer as well as other staff were wandering around when I was there, and I would expect they will be again. But in any event take the oppotunity to chat with the PTFA members who are running the cafe as they will be very happy I'm sure to tell you more about the school. I was going to try and help out too but unfortunatly can't this year, and next year I'll be there again biting my nails!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now