Tiffin Schools - Admissions Arrangements

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Saffron

Re: Tiffin Schools - Consultation for 2013-14 Admissions

Post by Saffron »

London_Mum wrote:saffron - I was thinking more like a 5-7km zone rather than just a few houses on a few streets close to the school.
I appreciate that that seems like a large area but for people living to the north of the Tiffin schools, a significant part of that zone would be taken up by Richmond Park. And of course there are other large green spaces nearby like Bushy park. 7km would just about get you to Richmond town centre from the Tiffin boys.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Saffron wrote:
London_Mum wrote:saffron - I was thinking more like a 5-7km zone rather than just a few houses on a few streets close to the school.
I appreciate that that seems like a large area but for people living to the north of the Tiffin schools, a significant part of that zone would be taken up by Richmond Park. And of course there are other large green spaces nearby like Bushy park. 7km would just about get you to Richmond town centre from the Tiffin boys.
That's why I had not proposed catchment area - I had proposed Kent model in which School decides the minimum standard and then places are given to those who lives nearer to the School having attained the minimum standard. That way some one living 10 km away could, in theory, get place as it is not necessary that enough number of those living nearer would have attained the minimum standard.

Problem with fixing catchment area is that it is arbitrary and there is always some super bright one who lives 100 meters out. Now suppose if catchment area is 10 km, some one would want it to be 10.5 km. Such as for Nonsuch Girls, if the catchment area was 6.7 km (instead of 5.25 km), I am in too.

Also fixing catchment area is difficult too because of the location of these schools and the geography of Kingston Borough. Girls one is extreme north, on the border of Richmond and extremely far from some areas in Kingston e.g. Malden Rushet. Boys one is also towards the north side, more close to Richmond/Hampton area. Some years ago, Council had discussed this issue and one of the many ideas was a 5 mile catchment area from Tolworth Towers (KT6), which would have covered whole of Kingston borough and parts of many other neighboring boroughs. At that time, this was not taken up and schools continued with open selection. Now both are academies - with no local influence. It's history now.

Edited: just found a Council paper relating to Tiffin Girls catchment area proposal as far back as 2005

http://www.kingston.gov.uk/school_admis ... .10.05.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by tiffinboys on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
Saffron

Post by Saffron »

Interesting - sorry I had missed the reference to the Kent model. It sounds like a good compromise - are people in Kent generally happy with that system? I guess I should pop over to the Kent forum and do some reading!
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

tiffinboys - that sounds like a very sensible solution and I can't think why anybody could object to that. Afterall a (high) minimum standard would be set ensuring the school's levels would be maintained whilst local children suitable for Grammar School actually have a realistic chance of getting a local place.
That seems the ideal situation for all concerned and will have the added advantage of easing pressure on comprehensive places in the Borough. I really wish Tiffins was more receptive to what seems a perfectly workable and very fair system.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Saffron wrote:Interesting - sorry I had missed the reference to the Kent model. It sounds like a good compromise - are people in Kent generally happy with that system? I guess I should pop over to the Kent forum and do some reading!
Kent has 34 Grammar Schools and has one difference. They have 2 scheme of schools. Comprehensive and Grammars. Usually all of those living in Selective scheme, get the place if minimum standard is attained. Also passing the test is easier than Tiffin and Sutton Schools. In some other thread, it was mentioned that about 75% raw score would mean 140 standardised score. Compare this with Tiffin tests, this would seems like chicken feed.

On the other hand, those living in Comprehensive scheme, have to compete for open selection places.

Also Kent is now working towards opening a new grammar school as part of another grammar school.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

London_Mum wrote:tiffinboys - that sounds like a very sensible solution and I can't think why anybody could object to that. Afterall a (high) minimum standard would be set ensuring the school's levels would be maintained whilst local children suitable for Grammar School actually have a realistic chance of getting a local place.
That seems the ideal situation for all concerned and will have the added advantage of easing pressure on comprehensive places in the Borough. I really wish Tiffins was more receptive to what seems a perfectly workable and very fair system.
Only if they listen.....
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Please write to the Tiffin schools with your suggestions before the consultation period ends.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

suzanne wrote:Please write to the Tiffin schools with your suggestions before the consultation period ends.
Tiffin Schools (both boys and girls) consultations ends on 13th February. I would urge the parents of children living nearer to these schools to respond to these consultations.

http://www.tiffingirls.kingston.sch.uk/ ... tation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.tiffingirls.kingston.sch.uk/ ... k_form.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.tiffinschool.co.uk/uploads/f ... pt2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trance

Post by Trance »

Hi

I expect Tiffin's response will be something like:

Kingston should be proud of having built up a school of outstanding performance on the Kingston North site and recognise that the promotion of academic excellence as well a rounded development of pupils is of far more importance than providing schools to the local population. Travelling across borough boundaries is a fact of life in London which is of minor inconvenience compared to the educational benefits obtained for the pupils concerned.

It makes my blood boil!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Exactly thats how they have responded in the past and going by the Surrey Comet article, this is what they are likely to repeat again. But if enough public pressure is put, then even Goodwin loses knighthood and Hestors decline bonus. Tiffin could see other point of view as well. But first we all need to respond to the consultation, with copy to local councillor and your MP. If MP receive 500 responses to consultation, he will be bound to take some notice. Then school takes some notice and then some change will come; may be in next year. Still better than nothing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now