Tiffin Schools - Admissions Arrangements

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaysDarlin

Re: Tiffin Schools - Consultation for 2013-14 Admissions

Post by JaysDarlin »

tiffinboys wrote:
suzanne wrote: Had good chat with friends about the Tiffin schools admissions. A modified version is as follows.

1. Firstly, 20% places (28 for boys, 30 for girls) to highest scoring candidates (i.e Super bright category).
2. Then, to those scoring 220 and above, ranked in order of distance from home to school on direct line basis.
Are the above statements facts - and if so, where is this information coming from? Just had a brief look at the 2013 Tiffin Admission policy, and as far as I can, see, it is still the highest 140 marks.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Are you seriously asking this?

Answer is in post # 1.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

*shudder*

Sorry, I missed that bit. :roll:

I find it all quite frightening. Who knows what 2014 will bring forth. Looks like Tiffin girls are moving away from the NFER VR/NVR - I was in my comfort zone. I wonder if Tiffin Boys will follow suit.

Edit: I thought Tiffin Girls also had a NVR&VR paper.... is that not the case?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Tiffin Girls have mentioned that they are considering changes, but haven't spelt out what these would be. So they are consulting while the proposed changes are not known. They should have consulted on the proposed measures; not on information about possibility of changes.

I had always wondered that some consultations are for the sake of consultations, just to meet legal requirements. But Tiffin Girls is taking this sort of consultation to new heights.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trance

Post by Trance »

With all respect it is not a test for parents though is it? Your comfort zone is irrelevant.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Trance wrote:With all respect it is not a test for parents though is it? Your comfort zone is irrelevant.
Yeah, yeah. yeah, :roll:
Saffron

Post by Saffron »

Trance wrote:With all respect it is not a test for parents though is it? Your comfort zone is irrelevant.
Gosh, I think the parents' comfort zone is hugely important - especially if you're DIY-ing!
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Last edited by suzanne on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

http://www.tiffingirls.kingston.sch.uk/ ... c_2011.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Piers

Post by Piers »

Whilst it's interesting on some level that local parents think that somehow proximity to Tiffin means you should have extra rights at admission, this is never going to happen.

The Greenwich ruling from 1989 means no secondary school can admit according to a borough based catchment. So why not just done on distance from
the Tiffin schools, regardless of borough? Becuase in 1992 TGS was the subject of a judicial review case based upon its admissions criteria; the ruling; no individual state grammar school surviving outside a grammar school system can select on proximity to school, only on merit. Sutton has a grammar school system, as does Kent, Bucks and Slough, so they are allowed catchment areas - both Tiffin schools are stand alone grammars so can only select by exam, not distance.

I teach at Tiffin; but do not speak officially for either school. Both schools are painfully aware of their position but do not have the finaces nor will to enter a prolonged legal battle about admissions which they are likely to lose; the law remains the same as it did in 1992 when TGS lost the fight to reserve some places for local girls. Both schools are at pains to point out to prospective parents that pupils are expected to do extra curricular activities and therefore long journey times need to be taken into account, however parents still seem keen to send their children on hourly morning commutes for a Tiffin education.