Tiffin Boys 2005 NVR test format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SB

Tiffin Boys 2005 NVR test format

Post by SB »

My son just did the non verbal test at Tiffin Boys, Kingston, Surrey. So I thought of sharing the format for future use...

Tiffin Boys school gets specially prepared non verbal questions from Nfer exclusively prepared for this school. The NVR test conducted on 01-12-2005 was like this:

4 Sections
20 questions in each section - Total 80 questions
50 minutes to answer all
No breaks between sections
No practice questions
80 questions in 50 minutes continuousely

As per my son - he felt the test was a bit harder than the Nfer practice papers. There were few familiar questions as well. Remember, the Nfer (Bond, AFN) practice papers contain 5 sections with 12 questions in each section and breaks between sections with practice questions.

I do not know Tiffin boy's NVR test format for the previous years. So I cannot predict the future!

Regards,
SB
Carol

Post by Carol »

My daughter did the same test today..but at the girls school - obviously. There are sort of practise questions, more like things to look at because they did have 2 questions where they answered them for you so you could look how to work it out. My daughter did find it a bit hard. But the bad part was she was wearing new trousers when she went and it started raining and she got em all muddy lol :lol: . She'll be doing Verbal Reasoning on tuesday (the 6th) Your son probably is too. Good luck to your son with doing verbal reasoning on tuesday.

Carol
Carol

Post by Carol »

Oh yeah and do you know any websites on Verbal Reasoning? I feel my daughter needs to revise on things, she did Verbal reasoning a long time ago

Post by Guest »

Hi Carol,

My son also found the NVR questions harder than expected. As you have mentioned the VR test is on Tuesday. Hope this is of same format as Nfer (85 questions, 50 minutes) and no special tricks fitted-in for the Tiffin schools.

BTW, it was me who got drenched in the rain while waiting to collect him after the test!!

For verbal reasoning I have bought practice papers from Nfer, Bond, AFN, Athey, 1 paper from The Tutors and one more publisher PLUS all possible freely available papres from the known publishers PLUS couple of books from local library.

Mike Edwards from The Tutors had contributed the possible words used in Nfer questions on this site's freely downloadable section http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/revisi ... wnload.php
Here you can also find few revision questions as well.

A while ago I downloaded a document on 'Verbal reasoning explained' from Athey. This has tips for 40 types of VR questions. I cann't find the link anywhere. But I can mail you the document if you want.

Good luck with the preparation. If you heard from anyone regarding the past years VR tests at Tiffin schools please let me know.

Regards,
SB
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

If you go to the Athey Educationals website it is on the free downloads section.

Dear SB, I'm thinking of putting my son in for Tiffins next year what other schools are you applying for?
sivalingam

Post by sivalingam »

everyone,

my son did NVR and VR at a school in hertfordshire today, both exams on the same day with 10 minute break. the exams were at 8.50 this morning and he came out very confident that he will be invited for the second round of exams in january.

i just wanted to say that we had done nfer, afn, ae, ips and athey papers in preparation and yesterday, day before exams we practice on the Tutors download vr papers 7-10 and elevnplusexams nvr paper 1. my son says these were really excellent preparation as he finished the exam with spare time

i also want to say thank you to this website - it has been really useful for my family

Post by Guest »

Hi Kaz,

So your son is in Year 5 now. Mine is Yr6 and hence going through the 11+ exams this year.

Regarding the schools, it depends on which LEA you are in. Because it will affect the way you specify the school preferences. In Kingston/Sutton LEA you can specify 6 while in Surrey LEA ony 3. (Hope you know the school admission policy and the secondary school places are offered).

If you are looking for grammar schools (boys/mixed) around that area then these are the obivious ones that come to my mind:

Tiffin boys
Kingston Grammar (independant, just opposit to Tiffin boys from London Road)
Sutton Grammar school
Wallington Grammar
Wilson's Grammar school, Wallington

Hope this helps.

Regards,
SB
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

Thanks SB

Did you go for Sutton Grammar as well? We're in Cheam and on direct bus route for Tiffins but it is very slow with traffic etc. Which school did you prefer?

Post by Guest »

Hi Kaz,

Same with us. We are in Ewell area. Direct bus to Kingston but traffic along the A240 is a nightmare during rush hours. To Sutton we need to hop to Ewell village and then bus.

Both Tiffin and Sutton are in our list of 3 preferences. Lets wait and see what turns up in March.

Regards,
SB
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

Hi SB,

Thanks for your comments and fingers crossed for your son. Out of interest did your son go for Glyn as well?