State Primaries :Grammar School intake

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: State Primaries :Grammar School intake

Post by Daogroupie »

Hmm, wonder how many will get themselves organised in time. You can sit QE and Lattymer. DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Latymer? I would not suggest that. Round 1 is in October (and just NVR), so would not be a suitable mock. Also would not one have to put Latymer on CAF as the round 2 is in late November? That would be a waste of one choice. Also there is some vaguely worded option with the governors to consider distance factor and that may possibly mean restricting out of catchment children from appearing for the test.

In my very humble opinion, I don't think that running around all over the places for free mock is any good idea. One needs to concentrate on the feasible options. That alone would mean upto 4 selective schools.

Secondly, sooner or later, as the number of children taking tests is approaching 1700 at our local schools, some restrictions on free mocks would need to be considered. Perhaps, restrict the tests to a certain radius or postcodes like DAO, Watford, Newstead, St. Olave, Woodford County, Ilford County, Langley etc have done. Or alternatively, most schools would adopt 2 round testing, with round 2 after CAF date for only those who have put that school name on CAF. :idea: Or take the test in late September/October and then there would be lot of date clashes.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

I am wondering about the impact of mock testers on Tiffin Girls which has recently changed it's 11+ tests. Say 1700 sit the test and that includes 200 using it as a mock. It's reasonable to assume the mock testers are well prepared and perhaps 100 will be in the top 400 invited back to sit the maths and English tests.

Now the mock testers probably won't list Tiffin on the CAF as it was just a mock.

Does this then mean Tiffin will only get 300 back to sit further tests or will they call back further children who weren't in the top 400 scorers so that they have 400 children back for further testing?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

In our area, with QE,HBS, DAO and Latymer in Oct/November and Habs, MT, St Albans, City NLCS in January, indy parents have been using the states for mocks for years. However a lot of state parents decide to apply quite late so I dont think many people will get involved with mocks. We will find out this year. In terms of second rounds as the mock testers will not apply for the school on the CAF they will be discounted from the first 400 so it will not impact numbers for the second round. DAO has a closing date of 22nd June which is even three weeks before the open day so loads of parents are going to miss that. Latmyer is doing online registration which is only open 6 days and their date is 6th October, too late for anyone to use as a mock, They have chosen the latest date of any school I have seen, not sure how they are going to get all those papers marked by the 22nd October. Mocks are not for everyone. People thought we were mad travelling down to Sutton on 2009 and 2010. I have told many parents about it but so far only two have done it. Many will intend to do it but miss the dates. DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Good debate, but may I suggest to move to Tiffins consultation thread and continue this thread for Grammar Schools Intake from State Primaries. Thanks.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Maybe we could start this thread again and all PM TB or Moderator with our school name and the number who got in to Grammar school and which one so we would end up with better information of the list of primary schools and number into Tiffin, Nonsuch, etc? Just an idea. Sorry the thread went off course.

We would then have the info in 1 post which would be easier to look at?
laretta

Post by laretta »

Suzanne

I think that's a great idea.

Any mods interested - Sally Anne?
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

3 form entry primary school in Kingston

2009 9 boys 2 girls to Tiffin
2010 1 boy no girls to tiffin
2011 ? boys 2 girls to Tiffin ( that I know of)
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

From our local primary in my GD's year, 8 went to GS - from a class of 32. From our local private prep, 16 went to GS - from a class of 19, but 100% had offers. No comment needed.
ambergris

Post by ambergris »

Some of the independents do hothouse the kids, My daughter's independent (Wallington) believe that if the natural ability isn't there your child will struggle in GS. This is unpopular though with some of the parents. I am inclined to agree with the school.

The shame is that some naturally bright children didn't get into GS because they weren't intensively tutored - a class of 12 only one got in to Wallington Girls.