How many exams is too many?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Scoopy19

Re: How many exams is too many?

Post by Scoopy19 »

tiffinboys wrote:
Scoopy19 wrote:I think it really depends on your child and really only you know that.

DD1 ......................:
In my experience, she did better on the later tests with Nonsuch being her worst score and Wandsworth being her highest (100%). She got a place at Tiffin on the first round of offers and would have got places at Nonsuch and Wallington on the first round if they had been her first choice.
Your DD must be very bright child if even at worst score, she would have got Nonsuch & Wallington. :D

DD1 only just scrapped the OOC pass mark for Nonsuch - 2 marks! She has certainly surprised us in how well she did. DD2 is equally as bright but not interested really in education. She always does the bare minimum to scrape by. Hence the selective route will not be for her necessarily.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I am sure your DD2 would do as well too. Some very bright ones don't need to put lot of efforts - just some good practice at the right time may be all she needs.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
BusyQueenBee

Post by BusyQueenBee »

We feel that DS needs to sit several exams as we depend on him getting a scholarship/bursary. There are five indies we'd like him to try. They are great schools and all offer financial help. But they all test in a space of two weeks in jan. Not good.
Last edited by BusyQueenBee on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

BusyQueenBee wrote:. Oh why oh why do they have to set the exams at the same time?
Perhaps, they were not expecting one to sit for five tests!!! :roll: It would be a lot to ask from an under 11.

Also I wonder if anyone wrote to the Sutton Schools to give scores or ranking, rather than mere pass/fail result. There was some discussion on this forum when draft policies were announced.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
WOTMum

Post by WOTMum »

I feel your pain BusyQueenBee. Perhaps you could sift the five down by distance/ease of travelling etc? Once you have some idea of how he has performed at the grammars (and if positive) you could then feel more comfortable about only sitting him for say 2 or 3 of the indies? I still think that one or two preferred ones must come to the top of the list. If this is really not the case, and you want to be safe rather than sorry, then you and DS are going to have to be highly prepared for a very hard few weeks in early Jan to keep his health, momentum, and spark in peak condition to produce 5 sets of papers of his best possible quality. I wish you and him lots of luck and positive thoughts.
BusyQueenBee

Post by BusyQueenBee »

Thank you for the positive thoughts WOTmum. :D