Secondary School for North Kingston Public Meeting

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

London_Mum

Re: Secondary School for North Kingston Public Meeting

Post by London_Mum »

It wasn't so long ago that falling numbers were a problem for many schools. I don't think it was necessarily a case of some schools 'failing' but more that, with so many spare places in the system, pupils had the chance to go to any school they pleased and as such went to the best schools further afield instead of a satisfactory or good schools on their own doorstep. Of course spare places were seen as a terrible waste of tax payer's money so numbers were axed to meet not exceed demand. Which was all fine and good until the population grew once again and suddenly there physically aren't enough places to go around.

Not so long ago, children from north Kingston could opt for almost any school they pleased in New Malden or Richmond or Surbiton with no problems at all. All of this has changed with the population increase - the last distance offered has shrunk for all schools to the extent that people have no real choice and are confined to only being accepted by their most local school (if they're lucky!)
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

tiffinboys wrote:Suzanne, could you propose at the meeting that Tiffins take over the NKC site and with the help of Kingston Education Trust, establish Tiffin Free School. With Tiffins expertise and teaching resource, this could be an ideal solution.
Well I could propose it but I think that the decision has already been made to set up the new school as jointly managed by KET and Kingston University.

Although I am in favour of the new school I do worry that it will be squeezed in-between TGS and Fernhill Primary and that the area will be heavily congested to say the least. Anyway I hope they get a move on so it will be ready in time.
MyUniMoney

Post by MyUniMoney »

suzanne wrote:
tiffinboys wrote: Although I am in favour of the new school I do worry that it will be squeezed in-between TGS and Fernhill Primary and that the area will be heavily congested to say the least. Anyway I hope they get a move on so it will be ready in time.
The problem is we simply do not have an ideal location in Kingston. ( My best idea was to move the the Latchmere House Prison elsewhere!) I think its better to just get the school started and worry about the congestion later! :) Once it is started, established and proves to be popular and much needed by Kingston residence, the council will have no choice but sort it out. Who knows, we might find a way to get HMP to move the prison somewhere else in the country! :)
Last edited by MyUniMoney on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

I thought the prison had already closed or was about to. the land is being sold off for housing I think?

Was anyone at the meeting last week? Was anything new said? I'm very interested at the possibility of it opening sooner than originally thought
MyUniMoney

Post by MyUniMoney »

Code: Select all

I thought the prison had already closed or was about to. the land is being sold off for housing I think? 

Was anyone at the meeting last week? Was anything new said? I'm very interested at the possibility of it opening sooner than originally thought
It was this week the 11th. , which was yesterday actually. Would love to elaborate here but, its past midnight, will try that another time :) In the meantime, anyone want to elaborate?

Here's a survey link they want us to do;

http://www.KingstonEducationalTrust.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By the way, apparently there will be a meeting at Latchmere school on the 17th about the potential of Latchmere House Prison being acquired as a school location for the future.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

The meeting was similar in format to previous discussions. The main new points being:

1. Freeschool funding will be sought rather than basic need

2. 6 forms of entry rather than 8

3. The existing building will be retained and refurbished rather than demolished

The application needs to be submitted by 4.1.13. They are hopeful it will succeed and need parents to support it by visiting the website above.

It seems the problem is apparently worse for girls as there are less spaces for girls (this is because Southborough & Coombe Boys still have capacity - but whether you would wish to send your boys there is another matter)

I will be supporting this free school application and putting my name on the list however my concern is that it was also mentioned there will be further free school bids by other parties later on perhaps at different sites and I don't have the information to evaluate which one I would prefer. Also with a year 4 child I need something done now.
la boume

Post by la boume »

Also this http://www.kingedwardskingston.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

suzanne wrote: however my concern is that it was also mentioned there will be further free school bids by other parties later on perhaps at different sites and I don't have the information to evaluate which one I would prefer. Also with a year 4 child I need something done now.
Funding for second free school would be a challange. Ideally, LA and local community should continue to lobby Tiffins to bring in catchment/distance as this would more than meet the shortage of places in Kingston.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
MyUniMoney

Post by MyUniMoney »

la boume wrote:Also this http://www.kingedwardskingston.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
La boume,

Any idea where they propose to locate the school? I think its a good idea. I support the North Kingston school first and having another choice would be brilliant. What do you think?
la boume

Post by la boume »

it is the same North Kingston Centre site. Surrey Comet has some info.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now