really basic questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
trisca

really basic questions

Post by trisca »

I don't have a specific Tiffin tutor and have only recently (as in, 2 weeks ago) decided to put my daughter in for the Tiffin test in September. We're home tutoring only. We're also foreigners and the whole 11+ thing is very new to us.

Aside from any general advice, I have a couple of extremely basic questions about the exam.

Are they allowed to mark up the test papers (for example, looking for lines of symmetry or to cross through answers they know are wrong?)

Are the answer sheets like the ones in the Bond books (individual boxes of different sizes for each answer?)

I'm sure I'll have more in the future, but that's all for now.
trisca

Re: really basic questions

Post by trisca »

Also, how is the Tiffin Girls' non-verbal test structured? Is it in individual segments like in the Bond tests (where it tells you not to turn the page at the end of each section) or is it all the questions straight through like the AFN tests?
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Hi trisca - the Tiffin Test is GL assessment type answers so I would urge you to buy these 11 plus papers for practice.

The style of the test is very different from the Bond papers and is much more difficult - certainly the VR and NVR.

As the Tiffin test has a different format this year you need to check the school website and have a look back through the Tiffin threads to gain further info. I would also suggest that your child uses the Walsh VR papers which are similar in difficulty to the real test and practise as many of the more challenging NVR papers you can find - try this site for downloads - again the Tiffin NVR is very tricky.

Please do ask if you have further questions and good luck.
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Sorry trisca - the style of the VR and NVR is that children are able to work through each test at their own pace - there are no timed sections - each of the tests is 80 questions in 50 mins. However, as I mentioned before this is what USED to be in the test and may well be different this year - you need to email the school for clarity unless others can give it here ? I am basing my suggestions on the test three years ago...
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Tiffin tests for NVR/VR are prepared by GL. Their practice papers are available from shop here or many High Street resellers (WHSmith) or Amazon.

For Tiffin NVR see the following link on this forum.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 30&t=12305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 80 questions are to be attempted in 50 minutes. Questions are in four sections but sections are not individually timed.

For VR see the Patricia's very useful advise on the following link.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 510#p48510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here too 80 questions in 50 minutes.

For more helpful threads, please see 11 plus subjects in this forum.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
trisca

Post by trisca »

I bought the GL tests (vr/nvr packs 1&2) but as those seem to be the closest to the real test I was saving them for nearer the date. Does that make sense?

I will order the Walsh books, thank you. Are there Walsh nvr, I can only find vr.

Why does there seem to be more material for vr, is it more difficult?

I've ordered a stack of practice tests recommended in that thread, but I'm not sure how to approach the whole thing. Does it make sense to give her test after test, or is it better to find practice questions (I have the ipad apps from this website) until she really knows it and then start giving her tests later on?

Are the websites like Bond and bofa11plus worth having her do?

How behind is she going to be, because I get the impression from this forum (and elsewhere) that many kids have been preparing for years.
Smile4

Post by Smile4 »

Hi, we too have been self tutoring but only for a few weeks. I bought a couple of those 'parents guides/how to' books which have been useful and looked at some of the helpful tips on this site.

DS is driving it himself and doing a little bit each night with a full test once or twice a week. He seems to be doing ok and everything is on track.

Somewhere here there is a plan of how what to do and when.

I'm new to this too but you should look around the site as there lots of great information.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Hi

There are no Walsh NVR - just VR.
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Don't give into the hype and hysteria of this forum.

It will simply overwhelm you. There are many, many, many people who have a vested interest in making it all sound more complicated than it really is (the tutoring industry, this site in fact which makes money out of click throughs to purchase papers). A reasonably bright child with some familiarisation should do fine - so practice by all means to get them used to . True, they may mess up on the day, but then so could the poor child who spent 3 years doing 2 hours of tutoring sessions a week. The latter may have a lesser chance of messing up, that may well be true, but still - ask yourself is it worth it. And who - if a child is to fail - will be most damaged by this experience, the child who took it easy or a child for whom the parents made passing the be all and end all of primary education ....

I find these threads really depressing (although I admit I'm hooked). Its dressed up as "support" but really only I think results in the reverse; making people panic and dispair that they have not done enough for their child "to give them the best chance". I grant its mostly well-intentioned (except for the tutors who post on here who want to drum up business)

IMHO those posters who go on and on about all the different types of questions, all the different "chatergoirations" or whatever, what the format is like, can the child turn the page (or not), are doing no-one any real service ..... just contributing to an arms race of competition.

(Of course, many people disagree with that....)
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

trisca,

My DD got into Tiffin a few years ago.

You are probably aware that the tests have changed this year. In previous years there was just the VR and NVR. Now the VR and NVR will be used to select girls to go through to the next stage which is English and maths.

In respect of your questions, I believe they were allowed to mark the question sheet but you may want to check that with the school, in case they reuse the papers (my DD experienced not being allowed to mark them at another school). The NVR were in segments, but as far as I remember the individual segments weren't timed. You may also want to check that with the school. My DD did the tests quite a few years ago.

As far as verbal reasoning goes, please look at the VR section on this forum. The poster Patricia's advice is very good. The tests used as Tiffin up to now have been GL assessment (also known as NFER). You need to practice all 21 types of question (15 types only used to appear on the practice papers I don't know if that is still the case). Vocab is really important. I assume your daughter is fluent in English? The main work is learning the different types, once that is done work can be done to improve speed (for example if you get stuck on a question, guess and go back to it later).

From memory, Patricia also has good advice about technique - it is unfortunately easy to miss out a block of questions when using the answer sheet (my DD did this but still got in).

The NVR are the basic types e.g rotations, odd one out etc. I would go through the papers carefully and learn all the different types and within them all the different ways of asking the question. Again familiarity is your main advantage.

The maths and English are anyone's guess but I it might be worth getting level 5 type practice books and making sure your daughter is secure on everything.

Good luck!