I think this post by Jaysdarlin could give this thread a kick start! I don't know if I should be glad or panic, lol. He / she already succeeded in putting two sons in Tiffin.
Hope you don't mind me re-posting this here, if you do, please tell me and I will remove. I do have have a schedule, but I am not brave enough to post it here, not at the moment anyway! But briefly its in 3 phases - Phase 1 (in Year 3), Phase 2 (This year Y4) and then I'm planning a more relaxed and full of fun Phase 3 for next year (Year 5).
Okay folks, think me not crazy. [ No I don't think you are crazy, a bit scary for me maybe, but not crazy!
] My son has just gone into Year 4, he is my ds3. My other two sons are at Tiffin, and those who know me on this site should know by know that I am prone to panicking and forgetting dates.
So. I am going to start another year early! Last year I started at the beginning of year 5. This time, Im starting in year 4, to avoid repetitions of previous disasters.
I dont want to alarm anyone, we wont be touching any papers. But we will be doing all our ground work.
So, thinking and typing out loud, here's a rough timetable we will be following. This has been taken from a previous post (viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10889&hilit=2010&start=30) it's what I did with ds2.
1) Category Cards = 3 (I have made picture category cards for every category imaginable, (vehicles, birds, cats, cooking utensils, tools, musical instruments, etc) and for example, the 'Tree' card has pictures of all the types of trees we have ever come across) and we use these games to play memory games.
2) First Aid Pages = 2
3) Writing, once a week
4) Reading to mum (electronic dictionary at hand, ruler to underline unknown words and pen to write definition in the margin, plus notepad to make a list of words for new flashcards)
5) Bonds Maths papers
1) Flash Cards = 14 new cards and testing previous cards
2) Times Tables, once a week (15 minute drill)
3) Mental Arithmetic once a week.(15 minute drill)
4) Reading to mum
(If anyone would like the flash cards or worksheets I have prepared, please email me)
I am planning to do a session a day, and two sessions on Weekends, which will include any homework from school. I think if I do this for the whole year, it will give him a good base for year 5.
Anyone else around? Who knows if there will even be an 11+ for Tiffin in 2014!