Newbie questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

HogRoast

Newbie questions

Post by HogRoast »

Hi all
First post on here so please be gentle....

My daughter will be entering Y5 this September, so we're looking at the 2014 exams. I've been "tutoring" her myself over the past couple of years - she's a bright kid and has been averaging over 80% on Bond papers etc. We're covering VR, NVR, Maths and English as we're looking at Nonsuch & Wallington. I have now been giving her the GL 11+ practice papers.
So my questions are:
1. I am totally unfamiliar with the scoring system so: What kind of percentage mark would indicate a good chance of a pass?
2. Are there any past papers available for Nonsuch & Wallington?
3. Does the Wallington maths exam include: angles of triangle, algebra, probability?
4. Do you have any tips or advice?

Many thanks in advance!
tiffinboys

Re: Newbie questions

Post by tiffinboys »

1. If you are only interested in Nonsuch & Wallington, then both schools do not test NVR skills.
2. For 2014 tests, it is too early to do GL papers now. In my view, test papers should only be attempted in the run-up to the entrance tests (May to August). For present, I would suggest concentrating on numeracy, literacy and VR techniques.
For VR, see Patricia's excellent post in VR section. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=30178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3. Maths tests cover KS2 syllabus and in my view, good level 5 (and even level 6) is must. Wallington tests are said to be easy, which means almost perfect scores are needed.

Also see
1. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/prepar ... -in-year-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 10&t=29647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HogRoast

Post by HogRoast »

Thanks for the reply.
We're keeping up with NVR just to keep our options open.
She's been doing some GL just so I can get an idea of where she is - teachers at school say she's doing brilliantly but I don't trust their standards. She practices with Schofield & Simms and Bond. I'm trying to vary the practice papers so she experiences all kinds of questions.
What kind of percentage pass mark is required to get into the schools?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

1. In my view (and I may be wrong; you know your child best), there is risk in exposing children to test papers too early and it's not just burn out. Children remember questions, specially the difficult ones, so the second attempts do not give better assessment.

In my view, test papers should be attempted later, after techniques have been learnt. There are loads of practice papers for VR and few for NVR as well. It's better to these and doing GL etc atleast until Spring before actual tests. Also save some test papers to do just few weeks before the actual tests.

2. After techniques have been learnt well, children should be able to score 90% or more in the GL/Bond/Letts test papers, in timed exam conditions. For NVR, best is to do each section in timed conditions.

3. Remember, exam nerves count too; so performance in actual tests may be quite different from the performance in practice papers. Doing some mocks tests helps. Sutton Grammar School's PTA organizes one. There are other providers too. Select the most appropriate for your target schools. These mocks helps a lot in overcoming exam nerves and getting good assessment of your child's abilities.

Caution: I am not a tutor; so take my view with due care. You know your child best. We did DIY except for few months with a tutor for once a week basis, which gave quite useful exposure to the competition.
MSC

Post by MSC »

tiffinboys wrote:...
Caution: I am not a tutor; so take my view with due care. You know your child best. We did DIY except for few months with a tutor for once a week basis, which gave quite useful exposure to the competition.
Now that's impressive TB! When exactly did you properly" start tutoring your child for 11+? At Y1, Y2, Y3..? ( I am sure of course you have been tutoring him since nursery or of before, but I mean for the 11+.

also, was that outside tutoring for VR & NVR only or all 4 subjects? Gratefull if you could PM me the tutor you used, if you don't mind. Thank you.
Last edited by MSC on Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)
ClaudiaL

Post by ClaudiaL »

Hi Newbie

I'm newly registered too but as a parent and teacher at an independent school with responsibility for entrance exams (Grammar and independent) I have a few tips for you:

TB is right - it is better to learn all the techniques (particularly VR & NVR) before attempting whole papers. It will also ensure that she does not peak too early or tire of the process.

No-one can give you exact percentages - it depends on the particular cohort that is sitting in that year. A 'pass' is not a guarantee of a place. As a rule though your daughter should be getting 90% and above for Grammar school entry.

For details about exams at particular schools and papers used look here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... ey-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would suggest also that you use a greater range of materials.

My most successful pupils have been those who have read a wide range of books (at least 2-3 per week) this helps build vocabulary for English & VR as well as the ability to read and understand problems in all disciplines. Look online for reading lists for Year 5/6.

Hope this helps.
ClaudiaL

Post by ClaudiaL »

Sorry - just realised it was hog roast who posted and to whom I'm responding. Sunday morning.. What can I say..
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now