Familiarisation test - Wallington

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
zaynab79

Familiarisation test - Wallington

Post by zaynab79 »

Did any dd or ds sit in the walk-in from familiarisation test?
We got test A result today.

Whilst she has done better in English maths is far behind only passing we have still loads of prep to do as she seems far behind :(

Paper Mark Average Standardised score
Maths (50 Qs) 25 29.9 93.9
English (70 Qs) 37 32.4 107.8
Total 201.8
Happy_!

Re: Familiarisation test - Wallington

Post by Happy_! »

My year 5 daughter did this and got 40 on both English and Maths (226 overall).
zaynab79

Post by zaynab79 »

Ideally should be 300? To get into nonsuch
Happy_!

Post by Happy_! »

Yes, but that is 300 across both tests including the second stage so you cannot compare with this SET mock in this way.
travelmum

Post by travelmum »

We used the familiarisation tests to get use to the process and iron out any exam technique and to see if there were any areas he needed to work more on. My son did not do as well as he hoped on his first familiarisation test but I reassured him he was just getting used to how they work and that he could learn from his exam technique issues (timings, using his ruler to make sure that he was marking the correct answer etc.) Just having the experience of how it all worked settled him for the real exam and he did amazingly.
Addit

Post by Addit »

We used the tests for familiarisation of the process. So that they get familiar with the exam room set up, instructions and sitting a test paper under exam conditions. I found it helpful to book the B test at least a month apart, and then you can see if there is progression with your child's scoring and whether they were actually able to complete all the questions or whether timing was an issue, if so has it improved.

Also don't be too discouraged, as they are 3 months away from the test. So there is plenty of time to improve knowledge & exam technique.

We found that each grammar schools test were slightly different in level and also in the format & breakdown of result reporting. So we found it helpful to book a few of tests across the different grammar schools . Plus you don't know which venue they will be allocated for SET, so some venue familiarity maybe helpful. Also with the results, just look at the gender results, as thats the cohort that your child is competing with for a school place, rather than their overall position for the specific test.

Good luck.
grammarornot

Post by grammarornot »

We did the Sutton tests last year not the Wallington ones, so I'm not sure whether the test sat was a mixed cohort or a girl only cohort.

If it was a mixed cohort then the placement will be lower against the mixed average than it would be against a girl only average because the boys tend to score a little higher on maths: i.e. an average girl will score less than 100 (standardised), and so this method of standardisation has a depressing effect on girls' placement. In the Sutton tests the distribution of scores was given out - I worked out that they need to be placed in the top 40% of girls to be comfortable in achieving a place. So whilst we were worried by the 'mock' scores at first, we looked at the girls only distribution and she was fine. And indeed was very comfortably placed in March allocations. Good luck. Can't recommend Robert Lomax on youtube highly enough.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now