Can an average child pass the 11+????

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dlb

Re: Can an average child pass the 11+????

Post by dlb »

Yes an average child can pass the 11+ and if they do, their place at grammar is well deserved. TBH there can't be many children that do pass who have not been tutored. I know children in my DS's class who failed 11+ but were top of class and those in middle who passed. Just because a child is in the middle group and plodding does not mean they are not of selective ability. These children had all been tutored too. Oh - and those that passed from middle group were summer borns.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

It does depend on what you mean by average and who is judging this. Some parents feel that their child has been labelled average at school but is capable of far more than the teacher gives them credit for. This is perhaps more true of quiet, compliant children who seem a bit lost in the school system yet at home are interested in learning and very academic. Their parents are vindicated when that child sails through entrance exams to the surprise of other parents and teachers at school.

If you mean genuinely average in the sense that the child reaches the expected academic levels for their age consistently but never exceeds them and is not capable of exceeding them early, then I don’t think they would pass the 11+ even with intensive tutoring and it is probably in their best interests that they don’t.

Grammar schools are not the best schools for all children. They are only the best schools for very academic children. A child who entered one of the Surrey Grammars at a genuine 4b level in every subject (the average or expected level for the end of Year 6) would not thrive there, would not gain from it what others would and would probably not enjoy the experience very much either. There are grammars in other parts of the country who take children based partly on priority for siblings and catchment. Maybe things are different in those schools?
YourChildrenSuccess

Post by YourChildrenSuccess »

tiffinboys wrote:["capries"]

Then you need to plan early, plan well and work hard.
[/quote]

This a useful thread. Capries, I also think you should go for it but as in my case and as emphasised by other good posters here, your child must really want it. I made sure I explained clearly to my DC why I thought its a good idea and let him/her decide if he / she wants to. It helps really well to try and get your child to see really ahead - e.g entry to a particular university that will serve their own particular dream or interest ( for instance if your child really like creating and building things, then perhaps a good exploration into a future in Engineering / Architecture and what / which university will fulfill his / her interest) will give your child a goal to aim for and the 11+ then is weaved into that journey. Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but it really worked for mine.

Thank you.

YCS
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig, you get dirty; and besides, the pig likes it" - George Bernard Shaw
capries

Post by capries »

thanks all for the replies,I became late in posting my reply.

yes in the start it was only me as a mother who wants her DD to try for grammar.
By average i meant the middle group in her class which her teachers consistenly said due to being summer born. I was told She was top in her class in national tests in year 4 and her teacher was amazed but she cannot go in the top group as there is no space in it. :? the teacher said she is in second top group and working towards top.

Another thing is, her dearest friends did not wish to go for the test and my DD keeps on asking why I have to go there. Now lately she found out that almost half of the class is being tutored for 11+ including some of her friends and she got surprised. Then we talked and yes her tutor (who does her assessment in VR,NVR) was very happy with her assessment. so she has taken this serious now.

But sometimes I do think will she be able to cope with this and yes, after passing exams. the thing does not finish. hard work will rather begin once you start high school.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

capries wrote:What do you think that a child in middle group of the class should go for preparing 11+ or not.
IMHO Tutoring is an arms race but need not necessarily be so; what you do need is a familiarity with the question types and that can be gained from visiting WH Smiths etc and getting some NFER papers.
It is a selective process so the outcome will depend on whether the Xs are in the right boxes on the day (attitude, luck, panic... all factors, some of which may be mitigated by practice!).
One thing I believe in as an indicator are CAT scores; ask your school if they have tested or predicted SAT results might help too.
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
ginx

Post by ginx »

SunlampVexesEel

What does your quote mean? I'm not very clever ...

capries, this is interesting.

I think it depends on where you live. Our grammar schools are not as difficult to get into as some near us. Yet they are still good schools. In other areas, it seems as if you have to do very well to pass.

Tutoring seems to "work" here and a couple of girls have passed who I am convinced will struggle. But they have always been in bottom groups. They have been pushed hard. I feel sorry for the pressure on these girls. I would think hard about whether your child would cope, it sounds like your dc is quite clever and probably would, imho.

I agree with yoyo123 and think home tutoring is best (not just because I did it). There are books you can buy, lots of free things you can download from here, and help from other parents who've been through this. Then you can see what you think, you will get a feel, and find out yourself. Then consider tutoring.

I feel very proud of my dd because she passed without tutoring (other than some limited help from me and practice during the summer holidays). Because she passed without tutoring, I am not worried about whether she will cope with the work at gs. If she had received intensive tutoring like some dd's, I would worry she would cope ...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ginx wrote:SunlampVexesEel

What does your quote mean? I'm not very clever ...
Prepared in mind and resources...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now