The Logistics of Daily Commuting from Kingston to Suttons GS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

YourChildrenSuccess

The Logistics of Daily Commuting from Kingston to Suttons GS

Post by YourChildrenSuccess »

Could those parents with experience share their knowledge and wisdoms with the daily commute by their child from Kingston to;(and returns).

Added: Ok, before anyone else gets angry - let me add this bit -
The news about a Kingston boy who was run down by a bus (I think he was commuting to Sutton if I'm not wrong) kind off triggered me to start it; I'm doing it more for everyone really, but I seems to have offended people instead. That certainly wasn't my intention. Real experiences are also not available on Google ( as suggested ) . So calm down, afterall this is a forum about finding information; real experiences are gold nuggets. If that's offensive then, I will delete the whole thread / post

1. Sutton Grammar School for Boys

2. Wilson’s School

3. Wallington County Grammar School (Boys)

4. Wallington High School for Girls

5. Nonsuch High School for Girls

Would appreciate details such as;

1. Bus No. 213 - good? packed? problems?
2. Anyone using Trains?
3. Tips - best practice, dos, donts
4. Safety
6. Cold dark winter time advice
6. Keeping in contact / tracking - phone etc
7. School bus / coach, any ?
8. Anything else...?
9. Anyone actually drive their kids to Sutton from Kingston every day? If yes, hows the traffic like and do you have problem with dropping them off, parking..fines ..etc?

I think the info compiled in one thread would be useful of a lot of Kingston parents

Thank you.
YCS
Last edited by YourChildrenSuccess on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
twelveminus

Re: The Logistics of Daily Commuting from Kingston to Sutton

Post by twelveminus »

Come on now, everyone's commute will be different. Kingston is not just one street.
YourChildrenSuccess

twelveminus wrote:Come on now, everyone's commute will be different. Kingston is not just one street.
Thank you 12-,

Precisely why I asked for "experience and knowledge" followed by a list of possible information and topics that anyone could chip in. I didn't ask for specifics - it's like a buffet lunch or dinner - I didn't ask please tell me specifically about one food item in the buffet, I asked how's the buffet and here is a non-exhaustive list of the food that was offered, can you tell me what you think of any of them that you have tested / eaten?! If not, then that's ok too. Also, I know there is not just one street in Kingston, but there is one main bus with one bus route too. Hope that's ok with you. :wink:

YCS
Last edited by YourChildrenSuccess on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig, you get dirty; and besides, the pig likes it" - George Bernard Shaw
marigold

Post by marigold »

would you like one of us to sit the 11plus for you too ?
YourChildrenSuccess

marigold wrote:would you like one of us to sit the 11plus for you too ?
res ipsa loquitur they say in latin :wink:
Last edited by YourChildrenSuccess on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig, you get dirty; and besides, the pig likes it" - George Bernard Shaw
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Are you working on some sort of a guide book? Don't forget my share in royalty. :lol:

Depending on where one lives in Kingston:

213 would go to Nonsuch and Sutton Grammar.
X26 would go to Wallington boys as well as Nonsuch and Sutton Grammar.
X26 to Carshalton HS and then another bus to Wilson's
X26 to Carshalton HS and then another bus for Wallington Girls.

There are other possibilites

Train to Wimbledon and then
- train to Sutton for Sutton Grammar.
- tram to Therapia Lane and then bus to Wilson's.
- tram to Therapia Lane and bus to Wallington boys or Wallington Girls.
- tram to Mitcham Junction and then bus to Wallington Girls.

Mums/Dads taxi to anywhere. Even from Slough to Wilson's. :lol:
Last edited by tiffinboys on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
samsa

Post by samsa »

Can I make a suggestion? Why don't you find out as much as you can by Googling and then get in your car and see the rest for yourself. Surely most of what you are asking is a matter of common sense and a bit of active parenting.
YourChildrenSuccess

tiffinboys wrote:Are you working on some sort of a guide book? Don't forget my share in royalty. :lol:
:lol:
Now that's a darn good idea TB!!!

Thank you as always. I actually started this thread because I searched in the forum and there are hardly any good concentrated, organised info on it . Real experiences are also not available on Google ( as suggested by moderator). The news about a Kingston boy who was run down by a bus ( I think he was commuting to Sutton if I'm not wrong kind off triggered me to start it; I'm doing it more for everyone really, but I seems to have offended people instead, which I apologise. That certainly wasn't my intention.

But TB, if anyone is more qualified to write a guide, it would be you! You are brilliant, considerate and helpful as always. Thank you again.

YCS
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

YourChildrenSuccess wrote:
tiffinboys wrote:Are you working on some sort of a guide book? Don't forget my share in royalty. :lol:
:lol:
Now that's a darn good idea TB!!!

YCS
Actually, I should have mentioned 'this forum's share in royalty'.

Thanks for your kind words, however, actually the whole forum is usually very helpful and give as much information and help as possible.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Hi Yourchildren,

I understand perfectly well why you started the thread as travel is something I've often asked about as well.

Tiffinboys has kindly pointed out the available buses/trains but hopefully I can help with some of the other points.

You shouldn't have problems picking up buses (213/X26) from Kingston in terms of them being too full. By the time the X26 gets to W Park, however (having stopped at New Malden) its heaving. Obvious downside with the X26 though is that it only runs every half hour.

The 213 takes a long old route from Kingston to get through New Malden and the X26 is considerably more direct. In both cases, don't underestimate the traffic going through Cheam - it can be a slow haul up through North Cheam into Cheam village itself (where you get off for Nonsuch.)

Travel to Nonsuch is obviously the easiest from Kingston as it's just one bus and it's the closest school. Sutton Grammar also easy - 5 or 6 minutes extra on the same bus.

Travel to both Wallington schools and Wilsons would be pretty horrendous on the bus from Kingston, however. X26 does go direct to Wallington boys but it would be a very early start from Kingston. Don't believe the timetable by the way either. The bus that is supposed to get to Wallington boys for 8.17 am (which would be in time for the start of the day) does not get there at that time (I know - I've checked :D ). You would have to get the bus that leaves half an hour earlier (arrival time 7.50 approx.) It is possible to get the 213 into into Sutton and then change onto the 407, but again this involves a horribly early start and hanging around at bus stops etc so not great but possible.

I personally don't think getting the bus from Kingston to Wilsons is feasible (unless you're prepared to get up at the crack of dawn) and would recommend an alternative method. No idea about Wally Girls really.

To sum up, Nonsuch and Sutton G doable by bus. Think again for the others. Train costs add up.

Also, just my personal view, I'm not sure the early start per se is the problem, I think chopping and changing from one bus to another, or changing trains and then having to get a bus etc is more problematic. All it takes is for one connection to be missed and it's a really bad start to the day....... :shock:

Hope that helps :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now