sutton high v surbiton high

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wornoutmum

sutton high v surbiton high

Post by wornoutmum »

Hi once again completed the rounds of visiting schools and shortlisted Sutton High and Surbiton High.

Already have a DD in year 8 at Surbiton so have a pretty good idea what Surbiton is all about, but my year 6 DD is quite different from her big sister and felt that Sutton may be a smaller version of Surbiton.

I have been unable to find any thing on this forum discussing Sutton High as when I search Sutton High it comes up with some error message - maybe too many hits - probably because of the Grammar school posts.

Does any one out their have any knowledge of Sutton High GIRLS school - how hard the exam is? why they are on the third head in so many years? are they very academic?

thanks
tiffinboys

Re: sutton high v surbiton high

Post by tiffinboys »

wornoutmum wrote:Hi once again completed the rounds of visiting schools and shortlisted Sutton High and Surbiton High.

Already have a DD in year 8 at Surbiton so have a pretty good idea what Surbiton is all about...........

I have been unable to find any thing on this forum discussing Sutton High...........
May be you could tell us more about Surbiton High. That would help many other parents.

Also if you post this query in Independent Schools section, may be you will get more responses.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
estelle

Re: sutton high v surbiton high

Post by estelle »

Hi wornoutmum

As you haven't had any replies yet, I am posting this to try & help! My DD isn't at Sutton High but she did sit the exam earlier this year & got a place. When we first looked at the school, Mr Callaghan was the head and had been for some time-he then left rather abruptly for undisclosed personal reasons & Mrs Crouch ( then deputy Head) acted up whilst they recruited a new head. Mrs Goulding ( who was deputy at St Albans) then took up the headship. She was the one we met and dealt with throughout & was very impressive, but now she has left only weeks/months after starting & Mrs Crouch has been appointed.I don't know why Mrs Goulding left so suddenly I'm afraid but it is not very encouraging for the school.

The test day was well handled-a whole day at the school doing a couple of tests, plus a PE lesson, some group work & an interview. My DD enjoyed it & didn't find it stressful. Results are good I think & certainly the school has moved up the league tables but it's definitely not a hot house.

We liked the school, the girls were absolutely charming but my DD secured places at 3 indies & one was much closer & more academic & in the end we went with that. I felt that the outdoor space was a bit cramped and some of the buildings needed refurbishment & redecoration. Since then we have met a couple through my son's school whose DD was at Sutton-they have now moved her as they said that the opportunities available there ( trips & co curricular activities) were very limited.

I hope this is helpful & that you get some more replies soon.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now