Were late tests necessary and 'Required'?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Re: Were late tests necessary and 'Required'?

Post by tiffinboys »

Yes, twelveminus, I would agree that you may be one of very very handful few who were not interested in Tiffin or any other state grammar at all, only had preparation of VR/NVR at the prep school for just 2 years or so, always looking for local indie or comp, who genuinely thought on 31 Oct that hey, let's try this one.

But I don't recognize this position for majority of the 600 or so (and by some accounts, lot more than that) children who sat for the 2 Tiffins schools' late tests.

With regard to catchment, all catchments would cater to a certain area - however, large or small. From your area, you may be few miles away from where Reading's catchment ends. From our area, we are also just few miles away from where Langley catchment ends or quarter of mile away from where Nonsuch catchment ends. So what, if Tiffins have some reasonable catchment and some may be few miles or half a mile away from it. The fact is majority of the grammars have catchment and proximity policy. I am sure you have seen the evidence as you are quite into research - I admire it. Why not for Tiffins as well. It will reduce admission pressure and deal with secondary school shortages in our borough, besides encouraging children from Slough/Harrow and nearby areas with quick transport links to go to Slough and 100% catchment based Langley grammar, reducing their travelling time, stress and definitely, environmentally friendly.

Whether VR/NVR could be leaked and how, whether these are good test of IQ, and whether these could be coached, over-coached or intensively prepared, has been touched upon in many of the previous posts in the forum and I leave it for whoever is interested to search those posts.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
SGSMumof2

Post by SGSMumof2 »

Very well said twelve minus - a quality posting!
Quality not quantity..... :D
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

:lol: :lol:
SlummyMummy

Post by SlummyMummy »

Twelve minus. You have hit the nail on its head. The only reason HBS and TGS are way above any other state school on the League tables is their non-catchment policy, and parents will move to be closer to the school once their child is in it.
You can't blame some parents though who try and give their DCs an unfair advantage over others in the name of catchment. If someone wants a catchment school, there are plenty in every Borough. The idea of a selective school is to pick out the best talent, which is what I hope they are striving to do.
We must give credit to our hardworking children who strive so hard to get into these school. It is their ability and performance which should get them a place, not the parents politicking and forward planning.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

SlummyMummy wrote:If someone wants a catchment school, there are plenty in every Borough.
Firstly I agree with you on policy. I am happy with the current admissions arrangements. But catchment can work against you if you live very near to these schools since by implication there aren't any other secondary schools near (until they build another one next door!)
We find that if DCs don't make the grade then choice is very limited as we are on the limit of catchments for all the nearest non-selective schools!
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

SlummyMummy wrote:We live in west London, are in catchment for Langley
I respect every one view and feel that I have as much right to put my views across as any one else. And I am also getting used to hear about advantages of open selection from mostly the very parents who live in catchment of other grammars. Two birds with one stone.... :wink:

But they won't want children of Kingston and surrounding area to have same advantage as their children have. Doesn't surprize me, though.....
mad?

Post by mad? »

tiffinboys wrote:
SlummyMummy wrote:We live in west London, are in catchment for Langley
But they won't want children of Kingston and surrounding area to have same advantage as their children have. Doesn't surprize me, though.....
I live in catchment for Langley, although I would never send my kids there as it is IMO a journey of too great complexity and time for DC to reasonably do. Tiffin on the other hand is one bus door to door, and a journey on average of 20-30 mins less. As it goes I decided even that was too much and turned their offer down. However, I have would have no problem with the children of Kingston having the same 'advantage', my DC have. :wink:
mad?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks, mad?
Children in Chessington area of Kingston borough would love to have this advantage.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

For whoever are against openly selective policy, the best option is probably to move to within catchment area of Grammar Schools with catchment area?????? That will solve the problem. :wink: For the very bright DCs, they don't want just average GSs. They want the best and this is only possible with openly selective policy for admission.
SlummyMummy

Post by SlummyMummy »

How easy it is to misquote somebody :). If you'd read the whole statement it said ' we live in Langley catchment, but aren't applying to Langley', infact haven't even taken the exam, because it isn't a truly selective school at all. If we want a catchment school, we'll go to the one next door to us, not 20 miles away in Langley. TGS and HBS are different though, which are both 7 miles away, and possibly even worth moving house for.
And that exactly my point. If its selective, keep is selective and if its catchment, keep it catchment based. It is the catchment based selective schools that should really be changing, not TGS and HBS who have got it right.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now