2012 League Tables

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiffinboys

2012 League Tables

Post by tiffinboys »

For what's these are worth, the current League tables have been published.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21165938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some observations re average points scored in GCSE.

Colyton Grammar School ---- 816
Rochester Grammar School -- 799
Colchester County High ------ 799
KE VI Camp Hill - Grammar--- 768
Lawrence Sheriff - Grammar - 762

St. Olave's -------------------- 673
Sutton Grammar ------------- 654
Queen Elizabeth -------------- 626
Wilson's ----------------------- 610
Wallington County ------------ 589
Tiffin (boys) ------------------- 548

Newastead Wood ------------ 772
Wallington High --------------- 628
Henrietta Barnett ------------- 624
Nonsuch High ----------------- 620
Tiffin Girls --------------------- 614

Frankly, I am surprized to see Tiffins at bottom in the area. I am wondering what could be the reasons. Do other schools allow to sit for more subjects (so average points scored are higher) or children there just got better grades?
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
la boume

Re: 2012 League Tables

Post by la boume »

To be honest, I don't understand these "points". It is a mixed table of the best 200 schools, both state and independent. How on earth LEH and CLGS points are so low?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Are IGCSEs still not counted? Many independents go for tougher IGCSEs than GCSE exams and previously not counted towards the League tables.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Looking at A level scores.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21171282" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Highest score is by Colchester Royal Grammar (1434 points).

Queen Elizabeth-----1181
Tiffin boys ----------1167
St. Olave's ---------1147
Wilson's ----------- 1126
Sutton Grammar -- 1010
Wallington County--- 980

Tiffin Girls --------- 1210
Nonsuch High------ 1126
Henrietta Barnett-- 1087
Wallington High ---- 1003
Newstead Wood----- 974
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

la boume wrote:To be honest, I don't understand these "points".
A-level grade A* scores 300 points, A = 270, B = 240, C = 210, D = 180, E = 150. The International Baccalaureate is also recognised with 1,380 points for a maximum diploma score of 45.

A lot comes down to how many they take. A pupil who achieves four grade Cs will score 840 points but a candidate who achieves three grade As will score a lower 810 points. If that student took one extra A level and scored the lowest pass possible, an E grade, then the point score would go up by 150 points. Hence schools which enter pupils for more subjects will almost inevitably end up with higher scores.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

tiffinboys wrote:Are IGCSEs still not counted? Many independents go for tougher IGCSEs than GCSE exams and previously not counted towards the League tables.
iGCSEs was the reason sited for no one at Pates getting the Bacc
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

You have to dig a bit deeper, one of those schools,has a reputation for doing gcse's and AS early giving
the equivalent of fifteen gcses at the end of year 11. If you track through to A2 and uni entry then they tail off. Always a problem when schools work to the target. In any one of those schools a bright kid, and they will almost all be bright kids, will do well. Just be wary of schools doing extra gcses and AS early to boost their league statu at gcse which I guess is the first target prospective parents look at?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

stevew61 wrote:You have to dig a bit deeper, one of those schools,has a reputation for doing gcse's and AS early giving the equivalent of fifteen gcses at the end of year 11. If you track through to A2 and uni entry then they tail off. Always a problem when schools work to the target. In any one of those schools a bright kid, and they will almost all be bright kids, will do well. Just be wary of schools doing extra gcses and AS early to boost their league statu at gcse which I guess is the first target prospective parents look at?
So the big differences would be explained by lesser numbers of GCSEs taken by Tiffin pupils. I wonder if the finances are playing any part in this as Tiffin (boys) had financial problems and have heard that they ask for 'voluntary contributions' from its pupils to cover deficit.

At the same time, I wonder why Tiffin Girls EBacc scores were so low. Seems it was caught unaware.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Those pupils chose their GCSEs before Michael Gove decided to move the goal posts, so if one of history or geography, or a MFL, wasn't compulsory that would account for it. I wouldn't worry about the ebac anyway.
scary mum
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

scary mum wrote: I wouldn't worry about the ebac anyway.
Neither would I, had Tiffin (boys) EBacc was similarly low. It seems TGS edge over boys was due to subjects choices. I see now that most EBacc subjects are now mandatory at TGS, so perhaps next year Girls would catch up.

Despite all the fanfare of open selection, there is huge difference between CRGS score (1434) and Tiffin boys (1167) even at A levels - sound like a full subject at score of A grade.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now