Tiffin Girls - 2013 admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

TiffinGirls

Re: Tiffin Girls - 2013 admissions

Post by TiffinGirls »

I don't think they do detentions for lateness anymore but they have other sanctions such as a system of signing in with head of year etc. The 65 bus is a nightmare and you have to allow at least half an hour from Richmond to the school. It is worse on the way back. DD has waited more than an hour. I think 1.5 hours is much too long for an 11 year old and more than that is madness. I have a commute that ranges from 1 hour 15m to 1 hour 30m and it is a nightmare.

While saying that, there is a girl in the school who commutes from Canary Wharf and doesn't seem to mind - I guess some people think it is worth it.

I think the poster said she was 20th on the list for HBS which would seem to be a much more straightforward journey. Otherwise perhaps she would have the option to move to the local area.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Tiffingirls and other TGS parents:

Just an idea: why not try to get one or 2 buses of route 57, 65, 213 and 281 starting from TGS after school times? I know 213 bus starting from our other local school and am also aware of dedicated school bus from Wallington Girls to Worcester Park.

I think TGS and Kingston Council's Transport Committee can help. It wouldn't cost London Buses anything as presumably, the kids would be travelling in these buses any way. Only they would catch the bus easily and at the door step, saving waiting times and less inconveniece to other passengers.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

TiffinGirls wrote:I don't think they do detentions for lateness anymore but they have other sanctions such as a system of signing in with head of year etc. The 65 bus is a nightmare and you have to allow at least half an hour from Richmond to the school. It is worse on the way back. DD has waited more than an hour. I think 1.5 hours is much too long for an 11 year old and more than that is madness. I have a commute that ranges from 1 hour 15m to 1 hour 30m and it is a nightmare.

While saying that, there is a girl in the school who commutes from Canary Wharf and doesn't seem to mind - I guess some people think it is worth it.

I think the poster said she was 20th on the list for HBS which would seem to be a much more straightforward journey. Otherwise perhaps she would have the option to move to the local area.
I have lurked on here for many months, but will now do my first post.

The 65 bus is unreliable and prone to congestion in Richmond, in fact it is one of the poorest performers in London.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/businessandpa ... ute-65.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I actually live near TGS and commute to Canary Wharf, but never via Richmond as journey is frequently delayed that way (even though it is 2 zones cheaper than using Kingston station). Both the 65 and 371 also carry children from North Richmond to Grey Court School in Ham, so don't be suprised if you cant get on first bus or two at Richmond station. Also bear in mind that both Grey Court and Christs school (Richmond Hill) are both about to open 6th forms so likely to make the buses busier.

Incidently my daughter has been offered a place at TGS, and yes her commute will be a 3 minute walk. Congratulations to all others that have got in.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Congratulations, snowdaddy.
Fruty

Post by Fruty »

tiffinboys wrote:
Fruty wrote:Hi, I am new to this forum. Can someone please explain me how the waiting list work... As my dd is just below the cut off marks that is 49.20
If you haven't got your higher preference, your DD will already be on the waiting list for TGS. When places become available, places will be offered in the rank order. Your DD is so close to the cut-off score that I am pretty hopeful that she will get a place in due course. Good luck to your DD.

I hope that those who do not wish to take up place in TGS or any other school, would decline the place as soon as possible so that the waiting list would start moving sooner.

Thank you for your help. We can only wait now ....
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

Tiffin Girls tonight has a Governors Annual General Meeting with Parents

Clearly aimed at existing parents, not future parents, but link here in case anyone wants a read.

http://www.tiffingirls.kingston.sch.uk/ ... 012-13.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Off topic, but really wonder if Governors have any plan to increase the lessons to the recommended level for science subjects at A Level.... (as previously highlighted by Tiffingirls). Didn't see anything in their report about this issue.
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

I don't think it is a live "issue" as such but it is pointed out to the girls at open evening that the courses are fast paced because of this. At the beginning of the Sixth form they are told that there is no hand holding and they have to work extremely hard and be self reliant. DD is predicted A's for her AS levels as are the majority of girls and I think there is some advantage to taking responsibility now rather than getting a shock at Uni later on. Arguably spoon feeding might get more A*s at A2 level, I really don't know.

Unfortunately for most schools there isn't a bottomless pit of money and the governors have to be pragmatic about what to spend funds on. My younger daughter's school is in another borough and is exceptionally well resourced, that is not the case for TGS and many other schools.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

TiffinGirls wrote:Arguably spoon feeding might get more A*s at A2 level, I really don't know.
I would think that being given recommended level of lessons is not spoon feeding.

My younger daughter's school is in another borough and is exceptionally well resourced, that is not the case for TGS and many other schools.
Why is that the case? I think Tiffins should be as equally well resourced as any other secondary school. I am sure that Governors would be taking their case to the government, specially in the light of exceptionally good value for money that these schools provide.
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

Funding per head varies between LAs because different LAs are allocated differing amounts of money and also because different LAs have differing ways of calculating how this will be apportioned. Factors considered might be the number of pupils, funding in areas of deprivation, school building considerations and other things.

The Department of Education funds academies directly. They receive more money than the community schools as they have to buy in services not provided by the LA. In Tiffins' case however, it may be the affluent location or the relatively low pupil numbers (about 100 fewer pupils per year group than many other local schools) that work against them.