Tiffin Girls - 2013 admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin Girls - 2013 admissions

Post by tiffinboys »

Thank you, London_mum for giving this insight. I am sure that TGS would be arguing for its case year on year basis. But I imagine that the funding should cover the salaries for staff in accordance with the DoE recommended levels, and ofcourse, other operating costs. With so many Chartered Accountants and a Solicitor on the governing body, I am sure that school would be submitting a very strong case.

Just imagine, how much better TGS can do if it was properly funded.
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

I have to admit, I do not know that academies are able to submit any case or negotiate funding . I had always believed it was more of a one way communication - that a pot of government money is handed over for the school to do with as they see fit (within the academy agreement and law of course). One would hope this pot would contain an amount at least equal to covering basic teaching requirements and that presumably no school would choose to convert if this was not going to be the case.

I know schools which aren't directly funded - where their money comes via the LA from the government - undergo a series of complicated calculations to determine how much each gets. Different LAs receive different sized pots depending on their relative affluence, pupil numbers and school sizes amongst other things. So deprived boroughs for example would be better funded per pupil than a wealthier part of London and a school with relatively fewer students per year group may feel poorer because so much money is used for the bare basics. The LA retains some of the money because they offer services at no additional cost for these schools that academies must pay for.
Rajanish

Post by Rajanish »

Hi,

Our DD has got a place in TGS.

We live in South Harrow and wanted to know if there our other girls commuting to TGS from here or neighbouring areas.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Regards

PRS
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

Rajanish wrote:Hi,

Our DD has got a place in TGS.

We live in South Harrow and wanted to know if there our other girls commuting to TGS from here or neighbouring areas.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Regards

PRS
There have been attempts to organise minibuses from several areas in previous jears. I would suggest that you try and find out if there are any near by that you could join.

(Or possibly move closer to the school)
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I have heard that few mini-coaches come from Ealing/Southall and other nearby areas. Try to visit the school, during term time, at 3:15 pm. You will find few mini coaches parked around TGS. Speak to the drivers to find out if any one comes from your area or perhaps one could pick up your DD before picking up other girls.

And you may also do the same at Tiffin School, as I have seen mini-coaches there too.

Check with TGS if any one else is also coming from near your area. School may also give contact details of other girls during induction day. Possibility of car share?

Other option could be underground to Ealing Common (Piccadilly line from South Harrow), then District line to Richmond (changing at Turnham Green), then bus 65 to the School. But this is quite a horrible journey for a 11 year old to do.

Or underground to Ealing Broadway (changing at Ealing Common); then there is direct bus 65 to TGS.

or as 999 mum suggested, moving closer would be a much better option.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

Fruty wrote:Hi, I am new to this forum. Can someone please explain me how the waiting list work... As my dd is just below the cut off marks that is 49.20
Hi Fruty, wondered if you had heard anything yet, would be interesting to get indication on waiting lists as its difficult to guess how many girls are within 1% of original pass mark.
I'm assuming a few will have declined a place by now as they are definately going to Indys, although some will still be dithering thus holding a place they wont eventually take up.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

We know a girl at a nearby primary who has offer from TGS and scholarship offer from local indie. Definitely going to indie.

2 girls in our school on wait list with scores between 49.2 and 49.7 - both got offers from Nonsuch HSG. Hope they would get the TGS place soon.
somum

Post by somum »

Interesting read.

Draft Admissions Arrangement for 2014 - Tiffin Girls

http://www.tiffingirls.kingston.sch.uk/ ... 4-2015.pdf
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Sad, but interesting read indeed.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

Well at least W3 is in and they are making transitional arrangements for siblings - I mentioned that in my response and no doubt others did.

My own postcode is not included. I do not think DD has suffered from her journey all these years, but when students are being bussed in from areas that cannot easily reach the school by public transport, I suppose you have to literally draw the line somewhere.

I note only 9 responses suggested making the area even smaller!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now