Tiffin Boys - 2013 admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin Boys - 2013 admissions

Post by tiffinboys »

More information about Tiffin Boys admissions on the school's website.
http://www.tiffinschool.co.uk/uploads/f ... er2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1644 candidates took the test. Only 1 of the late sitters (deleted: got the offer scored 231 or higher.

The figures circulating about the number of late sitters at Tiffin Boys were not right. I wish the school had published these figures at the time of test to put us at peace.

Still waiting for postman to come with our offer/result letters. I wonder if other schools would send the score as well.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrow_101

Post by harrow_101 »

tiffinboys wrote:More information about Tiffin Boys admissions on the school's website.
http://www.tiffinschool.co.uk/uploads/f ... er2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1644 candidates took the test. Only 1 of the late sitters got the offer.

The figures circulating about the number of late sitters at Tiffin Boys were not right. I wish the school had published these figures at the time of test to put us at peace.

Still waiting for postman to come with our offer/result letters. I wonder if other schools would send the score as well.

My son was in the late sitting and got 237, but as we have offer from QE and Habs, will be selecting one of those. At the time he had said around 120 sat, which is quite close to the 127 quoted in the note.

The wording also says one got above the score but doesn't say offer.
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

tiffinboys wrote:More information about Tiffin Boys admissions on the school's website.

This seems slightly improbable.

1 in 127 passed the late test, but almost in 1 in 10 passed the first test?
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

harrow_101 wrote:

My son was in the late sitting and got 237, but as we have offer from QE and Habs, will be selecting one of those. At the time he had said around 120 sat, which is quite close to the 127 quoted in the note.
How did you get your score? We have not been given a score.
harrow_101

Post by harrow_101 »

twelveminus wrote:
harrow_101 wrote:

How did you get your score? We have not been given a score.

In letter from Tiffins this morning.
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

I think it shows two things:

1. There was overworrying about second tests. Those (such as me) who argued the late test did not offer an advantage - since by definition these people had only recently had tiffins on their horizon and so could not have done the same level of preparation as those who sat the first test, may well have been proved right.

2. The figures (only 1 in 127) are truly unbelievable. But it then shows that - despite what the school says - tutoring over a prolonger period is essential. Late test entries were either all less able or less prepared. common sense makes it the latter. Tutoring works!
harrow_101

Post by harrow_101 »

ClappedOutMum wrote:I think it shows two things:

1. There was overworrying about second tests. Those (such as me) who argued the late test did not offer an advantage - since by definition these people had only recently had tiffins on their horizon and so could not have done the same level of preparation as those who sat the first test, may well have been proved right.

2. The figures (only 1 in 127) are truly unbelievable. But it then shows that - despite what the school says - tutoring over a prolonger period is essential. Late test entries were either all less able or less prepared. common sense makes it the latter. Tutoring works!

1. As the late test was age adjusted, I think it made it harder, as 2 months extra harms more than the gain in preparation time.

2. Obviously am proud of son to be the one, but also frustrated, as he was not tutored, so has not gained qualifying mark in some, but has in others, so unfortunately, tutoring can also be seen as essential to avoid risk. For ds2 (in yr5), I won't chance it!
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

harrow_101 wrote:2. Obviously am proud of son to be the one, but also frustrated, as he was not tutored, so has not gained qualifying mark in some, but has in others, so unfortunately, tutoring can also be seen as essential to avoid risk. For ds2 (in yr5), I won't chance it!
Hmm, this seems unlikely. Not that your son would pass, but that there is only one boy who passed, and he is on this board.

I suspect there is an error somewhere in that one out of 127 figure.
harrow_101

Post by harrow_101 »

twelveminus wrote:
harrow_101 wrote:2. Obviously am proud of son to be the one, but also frustrated, as he was not tutored, so has not gained qualifying mark in some, but has in others, so unfortunately, tutoring can also be seen as essential to avoid risk. For ds2 (in yr5), I won't chance it!
Hmm, this seems unlikely. Not that your son would pass, but that there is only one boy who passed, and he is on this board.

I suspect there is an error somewhere in that one out of 127 figure.

Agreed
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

Got our letter through, apparently DS got 102 and 98, so 200 overall. Which is a long way off obviously. :lol: He had got 140 and 130 on school CATs, so I am slightly surprised, but I guess the level of tutoring is really that intense.

So I guess that settles that he is definitely going to Hampton (they have a different style of reasoning test there FWIW, interpreting timetables and things from what I understand, though we didn't do any prep for it).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now