Help Sutton Grammar vs Wallington Country Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
calculus12

Help Sutton Grammar vs Wallington Country Grammar School

Post by calculus12 »

Currently I placed Sutton Grammar School above Wallington Country Grammar School based on previous result and FT ranking data. Some of my friends are indicating WCGS is better school compared to SGS and I am bit confused.

If anyone in this forum got first-hand information help me please. For both schools I need to move any way therefore have no specific preference about location.

Thanks.
ThreeKids

Re: Help Sutton Grammar vs Wallington Country Grammar School

Post by ThreeKids »

I think they are both excellent schools. When we did the tests with DS1 it was quite clear that WCGS suited him a lot better, indeed on our final visit to the two schools it was very clear indeed that SGS would be wrong for him. DS2 is a different type of child and I can see that SGS suits him far better. On the one hand it would be very convenient if they were at the same school, but on the other I think they will both benefit from not being in each others shadows.

Some key differences that I know about

WGCS takes girls in the 6th form. They believe this mellows the school and I agree.
WCGS has an intake at 13. This means that at this stage they reduce the class sizes.
WCGS has forms of 20 in the first 2 years. Some subjects are taught in forms, others in classes of 30.
SGS is I believe more keen on sport and CCF. Whilst there is ample sport at WCGS they do not have quite the same fixtures list I suspect.
WCGS go through KS3 in 2 years instead of 3 and hence GCSE'S options are chosen mid year 8 instead of year 9. They then have 3 years to do their GCSE'S instead if 2.
The WCGS induction programme is hard to beat with 4 full days at the school in summer term year 6.
I would characterise the difference as being that SGS is a bit more testosterone enhanced, whilst WGCS suits the quieter boy in general.

Neither school will do your son any harm! However your son may feel more comfortable and therefore happier at one or the other depending on his interests and personality.
calculus12

Post by calculus12 »

Thank you ThreeKids for your detailed and explicit response. Looks like WCGS will suit my DS more.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

How did you feel about the schools when you visited? that is probably more important than ranking data as that can change over time and may be dependent on kids leaving / coming into the sixth form etc.
calculus12

Post by calculus12 »

hermanmunster wrote:How did you feel about the schools when you visited? that is probably more important than ranking data as that can change over time and may be dependent on kids leaving / coming into the sixth form etc.
I liked WCGS however my DS liked SGS more.
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

Unless you have really strong feelings that your son would be much happier at WCGS I would leave the choice to him, unless of course his preference is only very mild. Neither school will do him any harm!
calculus12

Post by calculus12 »

WCGS allocated to my DS. His hardwork finally paid off. Hope he will enjoy his time in WCGS. My next project will be to relocate to Sutton / Wallington by August 13.

Thanks ThreeKids for your kind guidance.
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

calculus12 wrote:WCGS allocated to my DS. His hardwork finally paid off. Hope he will enjoy his time in WCGS. My next project will be to relocate to Sutton / Wallington by August 13.

Thanks ThreeKids for your kind guidance.
You are very welcome indeed and many congratulations to your son. May he have 7 very happy years at WCGS. Good luck with the relocation too. If you have any questions now or in the future do feel free to PM me.