Sutton Grammar School - 2013 admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ThreeKids

Re: Sutton Grammar School - 2013 admissions

Post by ThreeKids »

Soupastar - indeed know the writing on the wall scenario! Perhaps we should all go out for a commiseratory beans on toast! Do you mind sharing your sons marks? As I have said before - the future will be different as a consequence of these results, but it will not be better or worse.
ASDDAD

Post by ASDDAD »

Sorry to hear your news, its so frustrating when you are so close to the cut off. Our DS has been offered a place at SGS (and is really happy) but I can empathize as he missed Tiffins by 3 points (currently) and suspect he will probably miss it by 1 point once all acceptances and refusals are in. We like both schools but Tiffins is a much easier journey and DS's best friend is going there too.
I think I am right in saying that as he has been offered a place we will never find out his scores, at least my understanding is Sutton do not release them. Certainly received no letter this morning.
Congrats to all those that were successfull and condolences to all those who didn't.
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

Thanks ASDDAD and good luck for Tiffins. In reality we haven't 'just missed it' we are a long way off a place. What's irritating is that I would have normally expected DS's maths to be well up there and had it been he would have comfortably got a place. My concern would have been the other papers which we now know were comfortably on target. The bottom line is he's just 10 and he desperately wanted a place, so when he saw something in a subject he knew he could do that he had a blank on he went to pieces. We can bail him out of that situation, and will. Still proud of him and still confident that he will do well in the end. I am upset for him, because he is upset, but then at his age this seems like something much bigger than it really is. As an adult I know this is not the end of the journey it is merely a fork in the road.
soupastar

Post by soupastar »

I believe there are around 76 on the waiting list that achieved 187 or above for Sutton.

So even some of those that did hit the pass mark and possibly got a higher score may still not get their place which would be a real disappointment.
ASDDAD

Post by ASDDAD »

Thanks Three Kids. Stupid thing is we had written Tiffins off as we (as many others) believed the cut off would be much higher than last year, so if we miss it by such a small margin :-( Frustrating thing is we still have to wait, I always envisaged 1st of March arriving and we could move on but DS is aware of Tiffins cut off etc and as an Aspergers sufferer it is on his mind, hence it is on ours too. As I have said he has SGS and we are very grateful for this as is he, but in some respects we wish the Tiffin mark had been higher so we weren't still left hanging. Is that weird of us??
76 above 187 seems quite high, so I wonder what the actual offer mark was, also as I understand it catchment will kick in now, or is it still on position until all offers are accepted etc??
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

ASDDAD wrote:also as I understand it catchment will kick in now,
Since when have Sutton had a catchment?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

For the children on the last band of score. SGS used to do it quitely, until they were caught out School Adjudicator.
ASDDAD

Post by ASDDAD »

Apologies Catchment might have been the wrong word

This is what the Sutton website says

As the final score is rounded to the nearest four marks there will usually be several boys with the same final score. Where the admission of all of these would exceed the number of places available,
places will be allocated by proximity of the boy’s home (measured in a straight line) to the front door of the School. All distances will be measured using a computerised Geographical Information System maintained by Sutton LA.

If a boy who meets the Admissions Standard is not offered a place for September 2013 because the School is full, he will remain on the waiting list until 31st December 2013. If a vacancy arises within that period, the next eligible boy will be offered a place at the school without having to sit a further test.
ASDDAD

Post by ASDDAD »

ASDDAD wrote: I think I am right in saying that as he has been offered a place we will never find out his scores, at least my understanding is Sutton do not release them. Certainly received no letter this morning.
As suspected above, we received letter from Sutton this morning confirming offer, but no scores.

Is it me or is it very quiet on here, I expected it to be a hive of activity after March 1st :-)
ilovemyboys

Post by ilovemyboys »

For those on wait lists, do they receive their scores.. or is it just a wait list no?