Extracurricular at Wallington Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2outof3

Extracurricular at Wallington Boys

Post by 2outof3 »

Does anyone have some insight into this please?

I've read the prospectus, been to the school and examined the website in minute detail but really can't get a feel for the reality.

I know that there have been threads about the apparent lack of music opportunities, but I know the school has its school musical this week and the house battle of the bands was last week, so it looks to me as there will be enough to keep my DS happy. Sport does worry me a little. Is it really all about the rugby? They are the only matches that seem to be reported on. No football teams, hockey or anything else? Does everyone join in the House sports competitions - that may have to be enough as DS will be loathe to even try rugby.

Do those of you with DSs at the school feel that there is something for them to join in with over and above lessons? Also, do boys want to join clubs or is there not really any enthusiam?

I'd be really interested to hear any views.

2outof3

Re: Extracurricular at Wallington Boys

Post by 2outof3 »

No one? Really? :?
onlythebrave

Post by onlythebrave »

Hello 2outof3,

Sorry if this sounds jumbled but feel free to PM me if it doensn't make sense.

WCGS has a number of lunchtime and afterschool activities for the boys to take part in. At the begininng of each year there is a selection of clubs that the boys can sign up to and further opportunities pop up during the year. These tend to be shorter 3 - 6 week programs.

There is everything from spelling bees, to debating from music groups to Crest awards. There is a downloadable document on the website that shows this years clubs. The sporting programme is now a separate document, both are embedded somewhere on the website.

There are a number of house competitions throughout the year covering art, drama, music rugby and football. (I have probably missed some). Some require mandatory participation but I believe that the performing arts are voluntary. Plus extra perfroming arts opporutnities such as battle of the bands, the school musicial, the choir tour.

Don't be put off with the fact that WCGS is a rugby school. Whilst it is the main sport, provisions are made for boys that aren't that keen. I believe that all children take part in mandatory rugby skill lessons for the first 4-6 weeks. Then there is an opportunity take up alternate sports. This year it has been table tennis, badmington, football and basketball. Each of these sports also has it's own afterschool club. If the boys are selected for the school team, there are some fixtures arranged with other schools. Hockey is not played.

Unforutnately, I do not know about the uptake of clubs, as I am only aware of the clubs that my son participates in but maybe an e-mail to the school could provide you with a definite response. In saying that I have never known a club to be cancelled due to lack of interest. Just note that following the installation of outdoor table tennis tables the boys had to be chased off site most days, some after 6pm!
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Thanks for taking the time to respond Onlythebrave - it's really helpful! Luckily my DS likes tabletennis so he may well be one of the ones being forced to leave at night!

Anything you would change about the school if you were in charge? :D
onlythebrave

Post by onlythebrave »

2outof3,

I (and more importantly) my DS are quite happy with the school. There are many positives the pastoral system, rewards and sanctions, regular academic reporting, clearly defined assessments. When it comes to extra curricular activities, there are plenty of opportunities for the boys to become actively involved wtihin the school life, there is a strong house system and the boys seem to interact well with each other.

I would like to see more technology utilised within lessons but that is more of an improvement as opposed to a change, however, the deputy head has recently secured the position of head and I am sure that he will introduce some changes.

The only thing I really would change is the cost of the sport kit. I know it's pretty similar across the board for secondary schools but £5 for a pair of socks that you know are going to go missing or more realistically one will go missing kinda took my breath away initially. I was more used to the primary prices of 3 for a fiver :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now