Tiffin Boys' Waiting List 2013

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin Boys' Waiting List 2013

Post by tiffinboys »

It is not like that for 2013 intake. If any place becomes available for candidates scoring 229, then all the candidates at 229 would get admission.

Different rules apply for 2014 intake.
ASDDAD

Post by ASDDAD »

tiffinboys wrote:It is not like that for 2013 intake. If any place becomes available for candidates scoring 229, then all the candidates at 229 would get admission.

Different rules apply for 2014 intake.
I was just about to say that, info from Tiffins below -
Waiting list for entry into Year 7 between September 2013 and July 2014

From 1 March 2013, the waiting list will automatically consist of boys, in ranked score order, who have not had a higher preference school offered to them. Boys who have been offered a higher preference school will not be included unless parents request it (in which case they will be added to the waiting list in rank score order).The request must be put in writing to the Admissions Department at Tiffin School.
The waiting list will be maintained from 1 March 2013 until the end of the school’s published summer term for the academic year September 2013 to July 2014. During this period, if the planned admission number falls below 140, offer(s) will be made to the boy(s) at the top of the waiting list. After this date, there will no longer be a list. Those who have not achieved the qualifying score (i.e. the lowest score offered a place in that cohort) and therefore have not been offered a place by that date will not be considered for a place in Years 8 to 11 at any future time.
So I am still confused how they come up with number, it doesn't correlate with published info.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Waiting list is not static. Candidates could be added and some may leave as well.
ASDDAD

Post by ASDDAD »

tiffinboys wrote:Waiting list is not static. Candidates could be added and some may leave as well.
OK I understand that but does a candidate who scored higher than 231 (but put Tiffins as a lower preference, and then changed their mind and asked to be added to waiting list) take precedence over those on 229. If so then why is gsz's DS being quoted No 1
gsz wrote:My son has 229, and the email yesterday indicated that he was in position 1.
I can only assume someone who didn't put Tiffin as number one and didn't get first choice of school, scored 229 and asked to be added to waiting list. Therefore making 228 12th place.
Am I way off point, with this theory.

Just out of Interest Tiffinboys did you manage to sort out with Indie or is DS going to go to Tiffins??
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

There could a number of possibilities; I think that only school can give the accurate figures at any given point.
ASDDAD

Post by ASDDAD »

Well we will just have to wait and see what happens
What will be will be :-)
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

From 1 March 2013, the waiting list will automatically consist of boys, in ranked score order,
who have not had a higher preference school offered to them. Boys who have been offered
a higher preference school will not be included unless parents request it (in which case they
will be added to the waiting list in rank score order).The request must be put in writing to the
Admissions Department at Tiffin School.
The waiting list will be maintained from 1 March 2013 until the end of the school’s published
summer term for the academic year September 2013 to July 2014. During this period, if the
planned admission number falls below 140, offer(s) will be made to the boy(s) at the top of
the waiting list. After this date, there will no longer be a list. Those who have not achieved
the qualifying score (i.e. the lowest score offered a place in that cohort) and therefore have
not been offered a place by that date will not be considered for a place in Years 8 to 11 at
any future time.

From 1 March 2014, the waiting list will automatically consist of boys, in ranked score order, who have not had a higher preference school offered to them. Boys who have been offered a higher preference school will not be included unless parents request it (in which case they will be added to the waiting list in rank score order).The request must be put in writing to the Admissions Department at Tiffin School.
The waiting list will be maintained from 1 March 2014 until the end of the School’s published summer term for the academic year September 2014 to July 2015. During this period, if the planned admission number falls below 150, offer(s) will be made to the boy(s) at the top of the waiting list. After this date, there will no longer be a list. Those who have not achieved the qualifying score (i.e. the lowest score offered a place in that cohort) and therefore have not been offered a place by that date will not be considered for a place in Years 8 to 11 at any future time.

The W/L policy appears to be the same for 2013 and 2014 ? The only different is there are 10 more places in 2014.
ASDDAD

Post by ASDDAD »

tabasco wrote:From 1 March 2013, the waiting list will automatically consist of boys, in ranked score order,
who have not had a higher preference school offered to them. Boys who have been offered
a higher preference school will not be included unless parents request it (in which case they
will be added to the waiting list in rank score order).The request must be put in writing to the
Admissions Department at Tiffin School.
The waiting list will be maintained from 1 March 2013 until the end of the school’s published
summer term for the academic year September 2013 to July 2014. During this period, if the
planned admission number falls below 140, offer(s) will be made to the boy(s) at the top of
the waiting list. After this date, there will no longer be a list. Those who have not achieved
the qualifying score (i.e. the lowest score offered a place in that cohort) and therefore have
not been offered a place by that date will not be considered for a place in Years 8 to 11 at
any future time.

From 1 March 2014, the waiting list will automatically consist of boys, in ranked score order, who have not had a higher preference school offered to them. Boys who have been offered a higher preference school will not be included unless parents request it (in which case they will be added to the waiting list in rank score order).The request must be put in writing to the Admissions Department at Tiffin School.
The waiting list will be maintained from 1 March 2014 until the end of the School’s published summer term for the academic year September 2014 to July 2015. During this period, if the planned admission number falls below 150, offer(s) will be made to the boy(s) at the top of the waiting list. After this date, there will no longer be a list. Those who have not achieved the qualifying score (i.e. the lowest score offered a place in that cohort) and therefore have not been offered a place by that date will not be considered for a place in Years 8 to 11 at any future time.

The W/L policy appears to be the same for 2013 and 2014 ? The only different is there are 10 more places in 2014.
Hi that isn't the case, please see below (information taken from Tiffin website)

[

Method of offering places
The scores for all candidates who have named Tiffin School on their Common Application Form are ranked and submitted to Kingston LA.
Kingston LA will exchange information with other local authorities to identify the single highest offer available for each eligible applicant. The 140 places for Tiffin School will be offered on 1 March 2013 (i.e. letters will be posted on 1 March 2013).
Boys with equal standardised scores are ranked equally. In the event of a tie for the 140th place all eligible candidates will be offered a place at Tiffin simultaneously. Letters offering a school place will come from your home local authority. In all cases parents have two weeks to accept an offer.

Method of offering places
The aggregate standardised scores for all candidates who have sat the tests and named Tiffin School on their Common Application Form are ranked and submitted to Kingston LA.
Kingston LA will exchange information with other local authorities to identify the single highest offer available for each eligible applicant.
Offers are made until 150 places have been filled. In the event of a tied score to fill 150 places, applicants on the tied score will be ranked in order of their distance from school, and the closest applicant offered until the roll reaches 150.The distance will be the shortest straight line distance from home to the nearest pedestrian entrance of Tiffin School.
The distance criteria will be administered by Kingston Schools Admissions using their distance definitions and their computerised Geographical Information System.
So they have added an extra 10 places but done away with offering all candidates on same score a place, therefore bringing in a catchment area, the same as sutton grammar do it now.
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

does a candidate who scored higher than 231 (but put Tiffins as a lower preference, and then changed their mind and asked to be added to waiting list) take precedence over those on 229
Yes. Waiting lists are held in order of boys who best meet the admissions criteria so higher scoring boys always go above lower scoring boys even if they asked to be added to the list much later.
ASDDAD

Post by ASDDAD »

London_Mum wrote:
does a candidate who scored higher than 231 (but put Tiffins as a lower preference, and then changed their mind and asked to be added to waiting list) take precedence over those on 229
Yes. Waiting lists are held in order of boys who best meet the admissions criteria so higher scoring boys always go above lower scoring boys even if they asked to be added to the list much later.
OK thanks, that means there must be an additional candidate on 229 ( based on original number of 10, and the fact that gsz's DS is ranked equal first ( assuming that a higher scorer was ranked above, they would be 1st and 229's all 2nd) Otherwise 228 would be ranked 11th, not 12th as Tiffins have told us. Am I completely wrong????
It doesn't really matter, but I just want to get it straight in my head. I'm also assuming that based on OP 228 needs 15 (or is it 16) to decline in order to be offered a place. Can't see that happening if I'm being honest, but hey ho, you never know :-)