Sutton grammar- worried and confused!?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MTHead

Sutton grammar- worried and confused!?

Post by MTHead »

Hi Jenny,

Was that the essay title for Sutton Grammar last year? I am just curious as to what the school would expect a 10 year boy to write.

Would the content of the essay carry any marks or are they just looking for correct grammar etc.

I think my son would struggle to write half a page of A4, given an essay title like that.

Regards,
MTHead
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

Hi
That was last years essay title. He said he wrote nearly a full page of A4 size paper and I have to say that he is annoyingly lazy with his grammar!!!!!! I'm not sure what they are looking for.

Remember that if you fall down in one part of the test it is possible to compensate for that in the other parts as all the results are added together.

Jenny
MTHead

Post by MTHead »

Thanks Jenny.

I am hoping that the Maths and VR will compensate a little for my son's not so good English.

Just what is the pass mark for Sutton GS, is it the magical 326 as it is for Wallington GS?

Regards,
Bipin
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

I believe so. However, It depends upon the overall results it could be higher or lower than 326. Try not to worry. I was always told "if your son is working toward Level 5 in his SATs he should be fine." I know there are boys with Level 4s who gained places. Oh, and that is an annoying thing about selective education, the pecking order of results, though I believe it is worse at Tiffin Boys and Girls.

Best of luck
Jenny
ITBarbie

have faith

Post by ITBarbie »

Hi

I was reading the thread and if it is any conciliation a colleague's son had no private tuition as it was not until some weeks before that she and her son decided that the grammar school route was the way to go. She did not do anything and then 8 weeks before the test, thought she should pull her finger out so sat him down with test papers and alike. He passed all three exams for the Sutton Grammars and went to Wilsons and loves it.

My son has had a tutor since May and I was told that he was working at a level 5 in July for Maths and towards that in English etc. I saw his teacher yesterday who informed me that after his testing took place when they went back in September she said he is working a a level 5 c if not in all subjects. This is great and of course I am pleased for him.

Funny thing is he had the Sutton Mock test in June and he only scored 261 which was a bit disappointing (don't worry I didn't show him I was disappointed). The thing is I have been given so much what if and what might's my thoughts about him passing are up and down like a Yo yo. Whatever happens will happen I am sure but rest assured as long as you are not standing behind the child with a baseball bat you are doing your best :D

Good luck
x
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

ITBarbie
Try not to worry. Don't read too much into the mock test, it was some weeks ago and a lot can happen in a few weeks. It was probably his first real exam, with Multiple choice questions that he may have recorded wrongly e.g you don't know the answer to no.4 then when you record the answer for no.5 you mistakenly tick the no.4 answer box and your answers for that section get out of sinc.

Try not to worry

Jenny
ITBarbie

thanks

Post by ITBarbie »

HI Jenny

I must admit I did think he may have made a mistake ref the sequencing on the mock. But if he cant get that right.............HA HA only joking. Fingers crossed for everybody on here as if this has taught me don't always believe the local council when they tell you there are no catchment areas for their schools as they lie! We are out of area for all but two schools. One under performer and one just out of special measures. Keep :D ling
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

ITbarbie

Which area are you in? Are you in the catchment area for Sutton and Wilsons?

Jenny
ITBarbie

Answer

Post by ITBarbie »

Hi

We live in Old Coulsdon. He has sat the Mock test for Sutton Grammar and the actual test for Wallington. He sits the test for Sutton in November, Riddlesdown next Saturday and Wilsons in Jan. I feel so mean but he is okay about it.
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

You're not mean, you just want the best for him. The children in my son's class sat tests for 4 or 5 schools. Are you sitting for Tiffin Boy's? They don't operate a catchment area admissions policy.

Jenny
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now