Tiffin Girls' School 2014 Entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

somum

Tiffin Girls' School 2014 Entry

Post by somum »

It was interesting to see that over 1600 girls took the TGS exam for the 2013 entry. This was an increase of over 100 kids from the previous year. I am a bit worried for my daughter that will be taking this exam this year for the 2014 entry.

Is there anyone out there that is also concerned about the 2013 Oct. exams?
Kingfisher

Re: Tiffin Girls' School 2014 Entry

Post by Kingfisher »

Hello somum. I am afraid the figures are going to be VERY high, especially in regions where grammar schools are few and far between. I know that 2000 took the initial exam for QE Boys a couple of years back, for example.

Ensure that you have thought carefully about alternatives if your DD does not get in. If you live locally you might consider Coombe Girls or Nonsuch, for example, or Sutton High if you are looking for independents as well.

Good luck for your DD.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

Hi Somum,

Numbers may be high, but remember some pupils will be sitting a number of entrance exams at different schools, some will even be using it as a free mock for Independants. Just because a person sits the test doesn't mean it is their first choice school (although TGS is a very good school) as they might have nearer alternatives but are just covering multiple options at this stage

Do you live close to TGS ?
somum

Post by somum »

Thanks snowdaddy and Kingfisher,

Yes it does look like it is going to be competitive this year. My First daughter will be going to Tiffin this September and her sister would like to join her.
Amoda

Post by Amoda »

Now that Tiffin Girls school has introduced a form of catchment area (designated area I think they call it), my logic would be that the numbers applying may actually go down slightly. Many people will now not bother to sit Tiffin test if they don't live in the designated area and will focus on other grammar schools instead.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Does anyone know how many children get invited to Stage 2? Any idea what the Stage 1 cut-off mark this year was to be invited to Stage 2? 200? (i.e. Half the Stage 1 candidates?)

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

For the 2013 intake they invited back the top 450 candidates after stage 1. The cut-off score (i.e. that of the 450th ranked candidate) was 219 (standardised score)
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

somum wrote:It was interesting to see that over 1600 girls took the TGS exam for the 2013 entry. This was an increase of over 100 kids from the previous year. I am a bit worried for my daughter that will be taking this exam this year for the 2014 entry.

Is there anyone out there that is also concerned about the 2013 Oct. exams?
Concerned about what? Numbers were high because many parents from distant areas, even those who live at stone's through from other grammars, choose to take Tiffin tests.

Included in the high numbers was your DD as well. :wink: Isn't it?

If you are really worried about high numbers sitting for Tiffin Test, then how about concentrating on Nonsuch tests. Just VR and English comprehension, unlike Tiffin's 4 hard papers. Also nearer to home, I suppose noting from your previous posts, meaning no travelling and loads of extra time for studies and extra-curricullars.

By the way, I think some one mentioned before that actual number registered for the exams was over 2000, but little over 1600 actually took the test. Although, this year TGS has introduced catchment policy (however, big the catchment) and hopefully, the numbers taking the tests would be some what lower.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Amoda wrote:Now that Tiffin Girls school has introduced a form of catchment area (designated area I think they call it), my logic would be that the numbers applying may actually go down slightly. Many people will now not bother to sit Tiffin test if they don't live in the designated area and will focus on other grammar schools instead.

I don't often wander into the Surrey section, but clicked on this thread by mistake. :roll:

Kendrick in Reading introduced a catchment last year. The numbers applying didn't drop. In fact they had their highest number ever apply to take the test.

We too had thought that the numbers applying would go down.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Seems there were many hopefuls from out of catchment. However, the application numbers in Reading seems to be still lot manage-able, compared to Tiffins 1600 to 2000.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now