RANK

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SunlampVexesEel

Re: appoolly sch

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

aram wrote:hello
i want to apply nonsuch,wghs and tiffin girls.
I'm not an expert but my interpretation would be.... the test as sat (from vague recollections of DD) might be mostly similar to WGHS. For Nonsuch expect much more maths (any topic up to end of Yr6) and for Tiffin Girls expect far more (and harder) NVR. I think you would be unwise to extrapolate the test result to any particular school but if you are nearer the top then that can be only a good thing!
Animis opibusque parati
tiffinboys

Re: RANK

Post by tiffinboys »

TGS test:
Stage 1: NVR & VR
Stage 2: Maths, English Reading & English Writing

Nonsuch test:
VR
English Comprehension

WHSG test:
VR
Maths

TGS stage 1 test is same as Tiffin (boys). Test is quite hard. VR was mostly to do with hard vocab. Besides being difficult, the cohort taking the test is much better prepared - therefore, it looks even harder to qualify than the difficulty of test really is.

From speaking to other parents, as no direct experience:
TGS stage 2 tests was much harder than the Maths & English tests of Nonsuch & WHSG. For English (R & W), marking seemed to be very hard and perhaps, negative marking applied. On top, the overall scores are not age-standarized. Linear scaling used for calculation of final marks, which makes it quite difficult to score.

Nonsuch: VR was GL based covering 21 types. As the school claims to prepare the tests itself, this can change. English comprehension was of medium difficulty level; but many children scored less. Few girls in our school who passed all other tests including selective indies, didn't get the minimum marks in English.

WHGS: VR is GL based covering 21 types. Maths test was easy to medium difficulty. Easy tests mean higher average scores. Therefore the cut-off scores is usually very high in WHGS. This school does not give any information about its standardization method and actual score. No one even knows about the max score.

In my opinion, any one preparing well for TGS would also be well prepared for the other 2 schools.