CAT test results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

didcot2002

CAT test results

Post by didcot2002 »

Hi there

I wonder if anyone can enlighten me on what my son's year 4 CAT test results mean especially in terms of the 11 plus.

VR 131
Q 116
NVR 116

I have scoured the internet and here and can't find any answers - apologies if I am missing a whole section here!

My son is a July birth.

Thanks in advance. :D
Etienne

Re: CAT test results

Post by Etienne »

Difficult to say because expectations vary from 11+ area to 11+ area, depending on how competitive grammar school entry is.

These results are all above average - but they would have to be for grammar school standard.
The question is - are they far enough above average?

I would have thought VR is good enough.
Less certain about the other two results if you're in a highly competitive area.

Bear in mind that a single set of results may not be reliable.

There was a discussion about some of the issues regarding CATs here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... Ts#p207889" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
didcot2002

Post by didcot2002 »

Thank you Etienne. That made interesting reading.

We are in east Kent so not terrribly competitive like west Kent.

Out of interest what is the average result?

Thanks again.

:D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

CAT scores between 89 and 111 are considered to be average.

GL Assessment (who publish CATs) have three 'above average' categories:
112-118 (the so-called stanine 7)
119-126 (stanine 8 )
127+ (stanine 9) "very high"

It could be argued, therefore, that once you're into stanine 8, you're just entering the 'well-above average' band.

If I remember correctly, Kent used to have a minimum 11+ individual score of around 115 (don't know if it's changed), so you can see that 116 might be a bit borderline by that measurement.

Would you like this thread moved to Kent? :)
Etienne
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

didcot2002 wrote: VR 131
Q 116
NVR 116
OK... from a numerical point of view and making the following assumptions (i.e. assuming these tests are standardised like NFER)....

The average is defined to be 100 with a Standard Deviation of 15 (and assumed to be normally distributed).
If you have excel then NORMDIST(score,100,15,TRUE) is your friend.

So a score of 131 puts your child in the top 2% of those tested (Awesome) and a score of 116 puts your child in the top 15% of those tested (Very good).

Clearly you shouldn't ever extrapolate from one test and the 11+ here is so oversubscribed luck and performance on the day are a big factor but you are definitely in the right ball-park.

(You should also look at the raw scores as you might find that actually the 116 scores could have been due to a few raw marks (and hence the difference between 116 and a higher score might have been simply 1 question)).

Good Luck
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati