what is the time for writing eassays

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

deepika29

what is the time for writing eassays

Post by deepika29 »

hi.i am unsure about the time given to write essay.is it 30 minutes or different
Also how many words are required to be written...is it 250 words or more
Daogroupie

Re: what is the time for writing eassays

Post by Daogroupie »

You have posted this in NVR, it needs to be in English area and you need to tell us which school exam you are applying for? DG
deepika29

Post by deepika29 »

I am sorry,just did it by confusion.
My daughter is sitting for tiffins and hbs.I am not sure regarding the time for essays.after reading some post,i think it is 20-50 minutes and words are 200-250.pls clarify regarding this :)
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

I don't think there is a target word count at TGS

There is an element of interpretation required (last year it was a picture which set a scene and had to be written about). Obviously aim is not to produce a list of what you see, but to structure a small story, more inportant to have opening paragraph setting the scene, middle paragraph with the story details and then a closing paragraph (conclusion / wrap-up). Length is not important, but of course having a half finished essay because you ran out of time isn't a good idea. Apart from that, all the usual stuff of proper sentences, some good creative descriptive bits, story that flows sensibly and isn't jumble of muddled ideas, and accurate punctuation are all important to get good marks.

I suggest you concentrate on essay technique rather than length and split the teaching into the 3 basic paragraphs suggested above. Some Primary schools wont have taught this by start of Year 6 so don't be afraid to state the basics.
deepika29

Post by deepika29 »

thanks very much.Do u know where I can get example of picture comprehsion
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Same applies for HBS. It is not how much you write but what you write. Able writers can get multiple marks in a few lines, other candidates can write pages and achieve barely any marks at all. DG
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

deepika29 wrote:thanks very much.Do u know where I can get example of picture comprehsion
Deepika - any picture will do: something from the internet or your family photograph album will do it. It is not important what it depicts; the point is that your DC will need to gain familiarity with this style of question, learn to create a scene or a story in a limited amount of time and write in a way which is engaging and fluent.

But don't assume this is the only type of essay question that will come up - practise a range of things. You won't get a 'picture comprehension' as your question suggests - this will be for the writing section. The comprehension will be about a written passage or a novel extract if this is part of your school's exam.
deepika29

Post by deepika29 »

thanks very much
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now