2000+ applicants for Tiffin Boys!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2Girlsmum

Re: 2000+ applicants for Tiffin Boys!

Post by 2Girlsmum »

The birth rate in 2003 was almost the same as in 2000....
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

Most of the year 2000 births fall into the current Year 9 which was also a bigger year group.
The 1999/2000 year group was considered large - borne out by the fact that the last distance offered at local comps in that year shrank (the effective catchment areas were smaller for that year group and caught a lot of people out).

The Sept 2000 - August 2001 and the 2001/2002 year groups were noted as being much smaller locally.
I was under the impression that 2002/2003 figures were similar to the current Year 9 and everything after that went a bit crazy and the year group size exploded. This isn't the largest year group by any means but I don't think it is as small as the current Year 7 and Year 8.
Perhaps local impressions are incorrect though?
Ela

Post by Ela »

What about the increase of EU family from 2004? Although there are not many children from eastern Europe in Tiffin Schools but still the squeeze up is felt.
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

Again, based only on local impressions (and the difficulty or ease with which parents seemed to be able to get primary places) the current Year 4 onwards seemed very chaotic in the sense that people without older siblings were panicking a little and bulge classes became the norm rather than something that was foisted on schools not canny enough to avoid them.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Well, at St Michael's Catholic Grammar in Finchley yesterday there was no apparent recent Eastern European presence. The numbers have increased, but certainly in our area of North London (very popular with Polish families) the children are still in the infant classes through to year 3.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

London_Mum wrote:Again, based only on local impressions (and the difficulty or ease with which parents seemed to be able to get primary places) the current Year 4 onwards seemed very chaotic in the sense that people without older siblings were panicking a little and bulge classes became the norm rather than something that was foisted on schools not canny enough to avoid them.
Seeing as this is Tiffin Boys thread, the story in Kingston is the bulge classes started with 7 classes that are currently year 5 and will join secondary in 2015. In Kingston there are no primary bulge classes in year 6
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I believe, few primary schools, including the ones in North Kingston, have permanent addition of one extra form in last 2-3 years.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

tiffinboys wrote:I believe, few primary schools, including the ones in North Kingston, have permanent addition of one extra form in last 2-3 years.
Yes, Kingston Borough expanded about 7 primaries from 2010 including 3 in North Kingston : Latchmere, Fern Hill, Alexander/St Pauls.
All of these 3 (and others) took bulge classes in 2007, 2008, 2009. Fern Hill (just along road from Tiffin Girls) has taken a 4th class from 2013

Kingston didn't see the bulges comes, and there was a panicked public meeting about April 2007 when it realised it had about 200 more applicants than places available for Sept 2007. These initial 7 bulges join secondaries in 2015

In Kingston expansion (and opening of Lime Tree in Surbiton) plus bulge classes mean that some years at infant level have nearer 1900-2000 pupils vs the old 1575 capacity (which was about 1500 per year). An increase of about 30%. Pressure has been taken off North Kingston by Richmond opening new secondaries and a new Free school (next to Tiffin Girls, whose opening has been deferred to 2015).

Still doesn't really explain the 25% jump for similar number in 2014 year group in Tiffin Boys applications
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

Are people coming from further away? Tiffins has had good press this year in national papers and league table reports? I notice people talking about clashing exam dates for schools that are so far apart you couldn't possibly imagine any child wishing to sit for both. People apply and move later of course.
Also, the tests are now much earlier to comply with admissions guidance. Perhaps they serve as good preparation (free preparation) for those who are focused on the independent schools exams in the New Year? There is no obligation to name a school just because you have sat their test so therefore no limit on the number of tests you could potentially choose to sit.

A 25% jump is huge though, I agree. I can only think it is a mixture of several factors encouraging a few extra from each category to apply and they all add up.
sgsgirl

Post by sgsgirl »

No email from Tiffin Girls so I'm assuming the numbers aren't as high as Tiffin Boys. Mmm I wonder if the introduction of a 'catchment area' (if you can call it that!) has had anything to do with the numbers! Would love to hear what anyone thinks the numbers will be like for Tiffin Girls this year.