Tiffin Girls - how many girls will take stage 2 test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiffinboys

Tiffin Girls - how many girls will take stage 2 test?

Post by tiffinboys »

Does any one knows how many girls will be invited to Stage 2 test?
tabasco

Re: Tiffin Girls - how many girls will take stage 2 test?

Post by tabasco »

tiffinboys wrote:Does any one knows how many girls will be invited to Stage 2 test?
Probably 450 same as last year????
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Probably, but this info is omitted from this year's admission arrangements. If it is 450 then most likely the stage 1 cut-off score would be 216 to 218.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

tiffinboys wrote:Probably, but this info is omitted from this year's admission arrangements. If it is 450 then most likely the stage 1 cut-off score would be 216 to 218.
It might depend on how many papers the school is prepared to mark???? Since no ranking was given by the school it would be difficult to know the final cut off rank out of the 450 DDs who sat Stage 2 test.
One_Shot

Post by One_Shot »

I would imagine that for majority of the eventually successful candidates, it will not matter if 450 or 400 or 500 candidates are selected post stage 1 since most of the final list candidates will come from top 200 or so candidates in the first round list. I would think that there is a very strong correlation between candidates who do well in first round with those who do well in second round.

So I would think that realistically if ones standardised score is lower than 230 post round 1 regardless of the cut-off being 216 or 219, getting an eventual place in the final list would be the exception rather than the rule.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

One_Shot wrote:I would imagine that for majority of the eventually successful candidates, it will not matter if 450 or 400 or 500 candidates are selected post stage 1 since most of the final list candidates will come from top 200 or so candidates in the first round list.
There is no evidence to make such statement. Secondly, Stage 1 counts for only 30% of the combined score. And the way, TGS calculates combined marks is quite different (there is a full thread on it). A girl getting above 245 did not get through, a girl barely scrapping through the stage 1, got the place. And there would be many such examples.

I would think that one has to perform equally well in all the elements of the 2 stage tests, unless there is very very strong performance in stage 2 test.

By the way, reading the posts here and in Herts region, many of the top scorers did not opt for TGS. HBS was perhaps the 'in' thing. Some one may perhaps throw some more light on this aspect. tabasco??
One_Shot

Post by One_Shot »

tiffinboys wrote:
a girl barely scrapping through the stage 1, got the place. And there would be many such examples.
There is no evidence, I suspect, to make the above statement either. 1 case described above out of 150 successful candidates might be one of the few exceptions.

From those parents who were willing to share on this forum, I did not come across any case where someone with under 225-230 standardised marks made it. Of course, there would possibly be children that would have managed this but as stated, these would be exceptions to what would happen in majority of the case.
tiffinboys wrote: I would think that one has to perform equally well in all the elements of the 2 stage tests, unless there is very very strong performance in stage 2 test.
That is exactly what I meant by a strong correlation between the two stages i.e. as a rule DDs will have to do well in both tests, implying at least 230 in round 1 (which would put them in top 200-250 ranked candidates) and do well in 2nd round as well to stand a realistic chance of getting a place.

At the margin of first round cut-off i.e. around 216 or 220, it would mean a score of 1 out of 30 on the linear scale from 1st round and making up for this against a strong cohort will require exceptional performance in 2nd round - which, it would stand to reason, will be an exception rather than the rule.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

It is rather academic, but your statement was
I would think that there is a very strong correlation between candidates who do well in first round with those who do well in second round.
which roughly translate to 'those who do well in stage 1, will also do well in stage 2'.

In my view, there is no evidence to suggest that. I may be wrong though.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

If there was a strong correlation between Round 1 and Round2 then that would make having a Round 2 (mostly) pointless!??

Round 2 must be to filter out those scoring highly in Round 1 but who did so only due to tutoring rather than innate ability?

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

Absolutely. Unless the school is convinced that stage 2 adds something to the selection process, they would hardly bother go to the trouble and expense. If they believed stage 2 would return the exact same girls who scored in the top 200 of stage 1, then stage 2 would be utterly pointless.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now