result from Wallington high school for girls.. but

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sys4cad

result from Wallington high school for girls.. but

Post by sys4cad »

I've got an email regards to entrance test result for WHSG.

I am happy about it as my DD got "PASS"
... but I realized it is actually no meaning in terms of decision making since it has any further information
such as standardization mark etc.

Of course my DD got qualified to list WHSG in CAF.

Having the same result "PASS" from top to 700th, How can parent & DD decide to list WHSG as 1st choice?
just because of strong willingness?

IMO, school should provide fair information to select school as their efforts in the past is priceless.
London_Mum

Re: result from Wallington high school for girls.. but

Post by London_Mum »

This is usual for Wallington. Normally 600 or 700 girls pass the test but each just gets told a pass or a fail result. Wallington don't issue scores or ranked position or any other clue about whether each girl might get an offer.
You have to wait until March to find out if it is a pass with a high enough mark but that shouldn't affect how you fill in your form.

If you really want Wallington put it first. If your daughter hasn't scored highly enough to get an offer, the second school on your you list will become your number 1 choice by default. You won't lose out by placing Wallington first and then finding out the score wasn't quite high enough to get an offer. It doesn't harm your chances with the second place school at all.
sys4cad

Post by sys4cad »

London_Mum wrote:
If you really want Wallington put it first. If your daughter hasn't scored highly enough to get an offer, the second school on your you list will become your number 1 choice by default. You won't lose out by placing Wallington first and then finding out the score wasn't quite high enough to get an offer. It doesn't harm your chances with the second place school at all.
Thanks for your opinion.

But others ( Tiffin & Nonsuch ) provide more detail, then why Wallington doesn't ?
( In the past, they did )

2nd choice obviously has less chance to get an offer due to high competition,
1st choice should be clear enough.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

Thanks for your opinion.
I wasn't offering an opinion - I was stating a fact. I am not connected to Wallington and am not defending their stance. I am just saying a pass or fail result is all you will get so you will have to work with that.
2nd choice obviously has less chance to get an offer due to high competition
You have misunderstood the process I think if you believe listing a school 2nd on the CAF damages your chances. If you put Wallington first and your daughter's score is too low for her to get an offer, then the school you listed 2nd becomes your 1st choice by default and if your daughter reaches their qualifying score she will get an offer just like the people who listed that school 1st.
None of the schools knows where you listed them on the form. That is an important thing to note - it cannot be held against you or disadvantage you.
sys4cad

Post by sys4cad »

Thanks for explanation. ( or fact statement more precisely? :wink: )

Since English is not my 1st language, there should be some misunderstanding.

now I understand the process more clearly. thanks.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

I actually think having more information wouldn't really help that much. If you are out of area then you need to be in the top 100.... if you were ranked 1..100 then it might be useful but what if you were ranked 200?

The only real ranking that matters is the ranking once people have made their CAF selections i.e. rank 200 in the test could easily put you into the top 100 of people selecting WHSG first (since many taking the test are hoping for other options) and then you would be guaranteed a place but only known once CAF is done.... and given that once the CAFs are done there isn't much you can do about it anyway it doesn't make much difference.

Good luck to all. The process is horrendous...

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
One_Shot

Post by One_Shot »

The school should be more open and provide marks. The process of guessing whether DD will get a place or not should be left to the parents. If it publishes data every year about what the cut-off marks were and marks for DDs, parents can make reasonable guesses.

why hide this information? is there any advantage gained to the school by not disclosing marks?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now