The Tiffin Girls' School News / Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Re: The Tiffin Girls' School News / Results

Post by tiffinboys »

If there are sufficient number of eligible applicants from within the catchment, then places would not be available for any OOC candidate.

Within the catchment area, there is no post-code priority. It will be absolutley in rank order of combined score.
Ela

Post by Ela »

I dont understand how could this happen... if you are out of catchment they were not supposed to invite you even for stage 1 test. Catchment area is introduced to save money...Places should be allocated according results only unless its tie.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

mariela,

The TGS admissions criteria clearly states that priority will be given to:

"Girls whose permanent place of residence is within the Designated Area (see 5.3 below) of the School and this is the home address of the parent(s)/carer(s) and the girl (see 5.4 below).

It also clearly warns that

"The Designated Area represents the area in which the significant majority of students across the School live. It is anticipated that the School will continue to be heavily oversubscribed and that girls outside the Designated Area have no realistic chance of being offered a place under these admission arrangements."

Unfortunately I don't think your daughter will be offered a place no matter how highly she scores :(. It may be that she needs to be told this so you can manage her expectations on 01 March.

Ela, that's not correct. Mariela's daughter was still eligible to sit the second test, she just goes to the bottom of the pile when they are deciding who gets the final offers.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

@ela:
Yes, but you can only laugh at such anomalies.

We had raised this point during consultation. Perhaps they thought that not enough in-catchment girls will pass the stage 2 test or opt for TGS, so there could be vacancies (in theory).
mariela

Post by mariela »

Yes, it looks pointless to be invited to sit Stage 2 if you live OOC then?

TGS it is not our first choice but their new catchment policy is unfair. It's a Grammar school and not a local Comprehensive after all..

Mariela
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Yes, TGS is a grammar and like mojority of other grammars, it can have ability based distance or catchment policies.
lama

Post by lama »

Got good Tiffins result for my DD but we are OOC. :?
I wonder if they would consider her for the school?
lama

Post by lama »

mariela wrote:Yes, it looks pointless to be invited to sit Stage 2 if you live OOC then?

TGS it is not our first choice but their new catchment policy is unfair. It's a Grammar school and not a local Comprehensive after all..

Mariela
I agree they could have created some what similar to NONSuch or Wallington approach.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

lama wrote:
mariela wrote:Yes, it looks pointless to be invited to sit Stage 2 if you live OOC then?

Mariela
I agree they could have created some what similar to NONSuch or Wallington approach.
+1
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

I know this is highly unlikely to happen but wouldn't it be interesting if 300 or so of the girls who got into the top 450 were actually ooc. Then when TGS started to allocate places they discovered that there weren't enough in catchment girls to fill the places (taking into account those who don't put TGS first as well) and had to then start offering to ooc girls.

I know that many people won't even have bothered to apply if they weren't in the designated area but for those of you who are ooc there may be a tiny, tiny sliver of hope. It will be interesting to see if TGS ever publish the proportion of in catchment to ooc girls applying.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now