stage 2 exams for Tiffin Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Peridot

Re: stage 2 exams for Tiffin Girls

Post by Peridot »

Don't forget the stage 2 exams may be completely different from the ones last year as TGS are clearly looking for high natural English and Maths ability, not over-tutored girls taught to pass a particular type of test (!). Last year my DD felt that there was nothing she hadn't done at school already but it does sound as if the standard expected was at least a 5a; they are looking for the top ability children after all. Tell your DDs to have an open mind and be prepared for anything - and read the questions carefully. Good luck all.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Peridot wrote:Don't forget the stage 2 exams may be completely different from the ones last year
Was last year the first year of the 2-part new experiment? If so, there must be a very high probability it will differ; for example, writing a story from an image must have made the marking far more subjective than if it was from a written topic?
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Hi SVE: yes, last year was the first year of the two-stage system so my daughter was one of the guinea pigs. Peridot
SunlampVexesEel

Given the level of secrecy surrounding the actual format there could be potential for significant advantage by not attending the test and feigning sickness. So for example last year it would have been easy to have established the nature of the writing task by using the grapevine (i.e. how many seconds does it take to describe a picture of a wood with two paths)... and then easy to formulate a good essay plan for a subsequent sitting. (And it would be difficult for the school to use different questions for the different sittings and make like for like comparisons so it is likely that the sick test and the healthy test have the same content).

I wouldn't be so paranoid as to think this apart from anecdotal evidence that certain candidates had zero intention of attending the Part 1 day and instead attended for the sick-day re-run of the Part 1 test.

Please do not discuss Part 2 test details on or after Saturday (probably until March)!

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

SunlampVexesEel wrote:Given the level of secrecy surrounding the actual format there could be potential for significant advantage by not attending the test and feigning sickness. So for example last year it would have been easy to have established the nature of the writing task by using the grapevine (i.e. how many seconds does it take to describe a picture of a wood with two paths)... and then easy to formulate a good essay plan for a subsequent sitting. (And it would be difficult for the school to use different questions for the different sittings and make like for like comparisons so it is likely that the sick test and the healthy test have the same content).

I wouldn't be so paranoid as to think this apart from anecdotal evidence that certain candidates had zero intention of attending the Part 1 day and instead attended for the sick-day re-run of the Part 1 test.
SVE
If a DD needs to try to get an advantage by avoiding the initial test date then she is not the right candidate for the school IMO! The school should have two sets of test papers for each 11+ exam?
SunlampVexesEel

tabasco wrote:If a DD needs to try to get an advantage by avoiding the initial test date then she is not the right candidate for the school IMO! The school should have two sets of test papers for each 11+ exam?
It's the parents that make these decisions not the DDs.
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

My understanding (please correct me if I am wrong as i can't remember where I heard this) is that only one girl who attended the "sick" sitting of the first stage last year was offered a place in the end. So if some parents have a strategy of pretending their daughters are unwell to allow them to sit later, it plainly is flawed. Let's hope the truly deserving candidates prevail.
SunlampVexesEel

Peridot wrote:... "sick" sitting of the first stage last year was offered a place in the end.
I agree re: Stage 1. Almost totally pointless being sick since it's unlikely that access to a significant advantage would be gained (assuming that papers are carefully controlled; which I believe they are). For Stage 2 there could be a significant advantage iff the questions were the same. Let's hope TGS have considered that.
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

SunlampVexesEel wrote:
tabasco wrote:If a DD needs to try to get an advantage by avoiding the initial test date then she is not the right candidate for the school IMO! The school should have two sets of test papers for each 11+ exam?
It's the parents that make these decisions not the DDs.
Regards
SVE
Yes but it is the DD who will be going to TGS?
SunlampVexesEel

tabasco wrote:If a DD needs to try to get an advantage by avoiding the initial test date then she is not the right candidate for the school IMO!
IMHO a small group of people will do all they can to increase the chances of their DDs getting a place at a desireable school whether it be by moving house, claiming to have moved house, tutoring, asking questions on forums, appeals... Where two identical candidates apply it is the one who has 'an edge' that will get the place.
tabasco wrote:Yes but it is the DD who will be going to TGS?
The DD with the highest mark; however that was gained.

Regards
SVE

PS
I'm looking forward to checking into Rehab.
Animis opibusque parati
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now