London school atlas

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: London school atlas

Post by ToadMum »

Just tried the link but got "service temporarily unavailable" message.

Is it possible that the info contained in the Atlas is where the pupils lived according to their CAF when the places were allocated, and the information which the school made available is based on the home address as given to the school?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

999 mum wrote:
tiffinboys wrote:If you are really so much interested in Tiffins' intake, Panicattack, then it is best to make FOI requests to both of the Tiffin Schools and get actual data and then analyse.
Are you saying the school atlas doesn't use actual data?

Or is it that it doesn't give the answers that you want it to?
If one wants to know the truth, perhaps it would help to look at this way.

3 times 'less than 5%' is not the same as 15%. It could be 3% or even less.

By the way, panicattach post gave impression as if TGS had as much as 15% intake from just 3 wards in Kingston borough. Reality is quite different. Actual data from TGS would suggest much smaller intake from these wards. Therefore, my suggestion to all those very interested in Tiffins intake is to obtain actual data from schools.
onlythebrave

Post by onlythebrave »

True 5% could mean anything from 1-5% but I think you are directing your protest at the wrong people. The people on this forum can not change the admission policies only the schools can.

A couple of years ago the residents of Sutton tried to change the admission of the boys grammars to the same as the girls. To include both catchment and top scorers. The reason they lost was because schools are not funded by the tax paid to the council but by the central pot everyone pays into and as the LA no longer runs school admissions policies the adjudicator could not force the schools to change.

Did anyone challenge the inclusion of the catchment area via the schools adjudicator? What was the outcome? Also the school must have had a consultation prior to the change. If I remember very few responded, which would mean in the school's opinion, the majority were happy with the changes.

Regarding the atlas I am sure they would have used the information from the CAF forms. What no one has collected is the change of addresses following March 1st. Now that information would be very interesting!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

onlythebrave wrote:True 5% could mean anything from 1-5% but I think you are directing your protest at the wrong people. The people on this forum can not change the admission policies only the schools can.
!
Oh dear!!!
Protest? What protest!! There was nothing in my post about admission arrangements.
Rather, I had only clarified the impression being given of 15% getting in TGS from just 3 wards or 40% getting in TGS from Kingston.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

Looking at the Atlas again it looks like they set out precise % figures from wards where it is 5% or more and it just says "less than 5%" if less. The TGS data clearly states that there are three Kingston wards which have 5% each of the intake - ie 15% in all. All others are less than 5%. I think we have to assume the data is correct (though it is the first year of the Atlas and mistakes could be made!).

If "Tiffin Boys" (the person not the school) does have some contradicting data that would be illuminating.

My own DD's experience suggests that while there are some making long treks into school, most are from within a few miles and plenty from Kingston, Richmond etc.

I would hope this gives some comfort to those who are concerned that local people can't get into Tiffin, though I realise people will naturally always want more.

May look at the other grammars figures when I have time!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Would still suggest to obtain info from the Schools directly.

2013 TGS intake from whole of Kingston Borough was just 27 out of 150. Does that look like 40% to any one?

How one arrives at 15% or more from just 3 wards of Kingston, is beyond me as it has to be at least 22 girls from these 3 wards. I know this is not the position for 2013 intake.

Panicattack, I can give you analysis of your DD's year group if you mention her year of entry. Pm if you like.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

Just to be clear the London School Atlas claims to represent years 7-11 as a whole so it's possible that one year could be much lower or indeed the year you quote has been lower for Kingston. If you have a breakdown, TB, for an individual year or indeed overall based on individuals not wards that would be interesting for all.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

ok, over to the the Sutton Borough boys' schools. Again based on wards represented at schools, not individuals, in years 7-11.

Sutton Grammar: Sutton 32%; Epsom & Ewell 20%; Merton 18%; Kingston 14%, Reigate 6%, Mole Valley 4%, Croydon 4%; Wandsworth 2% (nb 5% of total are from Cheam ward in Sutton)

Wallington County Grammar : Croydon 38%; Sutton 30%; Merton 22%; Wandsworth 6%; Lambeth 2%; Kingston 2%;

Wilson's Croydon 42%, Sutton 26%, Merton 24%, Lewisham 4%; Lambeth 2%, Bromley 2%.

Perhaps no real surprises here as natural catchments seem to be occurring with a few parents sending their children quite a long way to bag a good education.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

panicattack wrote:
Perhaps no real surprises here as natural catchments seem to be occurring with a few parents sending their children quite a long way to bag a good education.
Not in case of Tiffin Schools. Year by year, intake of local children is getting smaller.

One can be near TGS or near Wilson's. not both. :wink:
onlythebrave

Post by onlythebrave »

Had a look at the faqs and they state that the data is taken from the annual January school census and they expect to update the atlas on a yearly basis.

Therefore the data is collated from actual addresses from current pupils not the CAF. I am not sure how helpful this is to prospective parents as it does not detail what addresses were reported to the school at time of admission.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now