Sutton Grammar - introduces catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiffinboys

Re: Sutton Grammar - introduces catchment

Post by tiffinboys »

Let's hope that these proposals are included in the determined arrangements and that these are upheld if challenged. We would then have a good model for Tiffins.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

The Tiffin proposed arrangements would mean a level playing field for those within 14km and it excludes the long distance travellers which has always concerned you, TB (the Sutton plan would still alllow people to travel infinite distance). You also don't have lower entry requirements for different boys sitting the test based on postcode, not ability, at Tiffin. The Tiffin plan is proabably fairer.

I realise that there are pressure on school places in Sutton as with the rest of London but as I mentioned, a high ability boy will have the choice of possibly four grammar schools if you live in Sutton. I'm not sure if a narrow catchment as Sutton proposes is justified. Plenty of people I guess will also consider a move within catchment now....
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Tiffin School has essentially maintained the status quo. They are not interested in few pupil not coming from far away areas or to reduce travelling. 14 km is pretty long travelling from most locations on public transport - as not being on direct bus or train route.

The 14 km radius essentially seems to have come from their need to reduce the entrance test costs. I have heard in local circles that, though few candidates from over 14 km zone take the place if offered, a very large number as much as nearly 500 sat for the entrance tests.

Sutton Grammar has, in my view, taken the right step. All schools should support their local community and build local character. Until the 1987 Greenwich ruling, that was the case with all schools, including grammars. The only difference between grammar and comprehensive was and should be 'the selective ability' test and nothing else.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

I like "Tiffin Boys" would query Sutton Grammar's maths. If 49% of boys get in in catchment under current rules, you'd expect about half of those to get a top 60 place under the new proposed rules so roughly 105 (75 plus 30) out of 135 places (incidentally are class sizes increasing to 33-34??) go to within the smallish catchment.

It's also factually incorrect to say there would be little difference in marks between the catchment and those seeking a top 60 place. In 2013 for example at Nonsuch, the lowest offer for a top 80 place was 342 out of 420 and within catchment, 298 out of 420.

If a school wants a catchment, a larger one with everyone being treated the same would seem fairer. If you look at where children come from under open selection in order of number it would be Sutton Borough, with neighbouring Epsom, Merton and Kingston having good representation. (There are exceptions with a few coming from Croydon, Mole Valley and Reigate).Probably fairly equitable as it is. Now I must pop to the estate agents.....
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

As I read it, the catchment has higher priority than open places in Sutton Grammar than the Nonsuch where open places has higher priority. The cut-offs for catchment in Sutton is not likely to be much different than the cut-off for open places.

What Sutton Grammar has done is to maintain its local character without any or any significant effect on the cut-off scores.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

Does anyone know if an increased intake mean larger classes? Or more smaller size classes?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now