TGS - 2012/13 Final mark scaling details

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tabasco

TGS - 2012/13 Final mark scaling details

Post by tabasco »

This was kindly posted by mummy75 earlier this year.

How were raw marks converted to scaled marks?

The 4 different sections of the Final Mark add up to 100.

The VR and NVR tests are worth a maximum of 30 out of 100 (i.e. 30%) of the Final Mark; the Maths test is worth a maximum of 20 out of 100 (i.e. 20%); the Reading test is worth a maximum of 30 out of 100 (i.e. 30%) and the Writing test is worth a maximum of 20 out of 100 (i.e. 20%). Thus, the Stage 1 test (the NVR/VR tests) is worth 30% of the Final Mark, and the Stage 2 tests (the Maths, Reading and Writing tests) are worth 70% of the Final Mark.

The range of marks awarded varied between tests. The highest raw mark awarded on the Reading test (42/60 = 70%) is lower than the highest raw mark awarded on the Maths test (50/50 = 100%) as detailed in the table below. The raw marks were therefore converted to a scaled mark in order to level this difference. Scaling marks ensures fairness between the different sections and a contribution towards the Final Mark in the given proportions (30:20:30:20).

In order to scale, an applicant’s raw mark in a section is converted to a mark out of the maximum available for that section. This means that the applicant obtaining the highest raw mark in a section was given the maximum scaled mark for that section, and the applicant obtaining the lowest raw mark in a section was given the minimum scaled mark for that section. The table below gives the lowest and highest raw marks for each section and their equivalent converted scaled mark:

Raw Scores

in each section

Out of
Lowest
Highest

Out of
Minimum
Maximum

Reading

Writing

Maths

VR/NVR

Was an applicant’s VR/NVR raw mark or VR/NVR standardised mark used in the calculation of their VR/NVR scaled mark?

Applicants’ raw marks in the VR/NVR tests were used to calculate the scaled VR/NVR mark that is included in the Final Mark. This is because the standardised VR/NVR mark from the Stage 1 test was based on the range of marks from all 1,626 applicants who sat the Stage 1 test. By using the raw marks of only the applicants who sat the Stage 2 test, we ensure a range for scaling that is calculated on the same basis as the other sections contributing to the Final Mark.

Was an applicant’s Final Mark age weighted?

The marks were not age weighted. An analysis of the Final Mark showed that there was no correlation between age and outcome, therefore the marks were not age weighted.
aram

Re: TGS - 2012/13 Final mark scaling details

Post by aram »

hi
thankyou for your TGS marks .please can you explain abot my daughter score?her stage 1 score was 219. please can you tell me homany percentage?
thanks
aram
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

aram wrote:hi
thankyou for your TGS marks .please can you explain abot my daughter score?her stage 1 score was 219. please can you tell me homany percentage?
thanks
aram
Please note the scaling method was for the 2013 entry and no one know at present whether TGS will use the same method for 2014 entry?

If your DD sat for her test last year (hypothetically) a score of 219 get 1/30 (1%) after scaling.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

tabasco wrote:
aram wrote:hi
thanks
aram
Please note the scaling method was for the 2013 entry and no one know at present whether TGS will use the same method for 2014 entry?

If your DD sat for her test last year (hypothetically) a score of 219 get 1/30 (1%) after scaling.
Scaling was done on the basis of raw score, so above is correct if the raw score achieved was also the lowest.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

A first round score of 219 will score 1 or 2 points on the VR/NVR part (whereas a 280 scorer will get 30 points); so effectively zero for that part of the process.
In order to gain high enough in round 2 your daughter will have to score very highly (in comparison to the other round 2 candidates) in the other subjects to get high enough to qualify for a place. Unless your daughter is relatively strong in English and Maths compared to VR/NVR then it's going to be an uphill struggle.

No one knows what the results will be... it's impossible to know how strong the other candidates are. One thing for sure is that the final candidates who gain a place will be very strong across all VR/NVR/English and Maths.

Fingers crossed
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

What was the raw score, aram? You could then work out approx the likely score for stage 1, if the scaling method remains the same as last year.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

tiffinboys wrote:What was the raw score, aram? You could then work out approx the likely score for stage 1, if the scaling method remains the same as last year.
Only if you know the lowest and highest raw scores.
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Quite right.. but close approximation could be done.... if any one around 214-219 range care to post their raw scores?
aram

Post by aram »

thankyou
for your comments
my daghter raw markk was VR,-65 NVR-60 STA SCORE.-VR-110 NVR=-109
thank you
aram
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I'll pm you, aram.