Tiffin boys - why no football ??????

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Labyrinth2

Tiffin boys - why no football ??????

Post by Labyrinth2 »

Anyone know how Tiffin Boys get away with not having a football team ?
hermanmunster

Re: Tiffin boys - why no football ??????

Post by hermanmunster »

perhaps footy isn't so popular there, the local GS here in Yorkshire does have a footy team but not nearly as popular or high profile as the Rugby team
future

Post by future »

Neither does QE. Rugby, it would seem, instils better discipline in young men.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

RGS high wycombe does not either...the boys would LOVE a footy team, their dad's probably prefer the idea of rugby? Nothing to do with discipline, just a misguided "gentleman's game" snobbery. I can say this happily and confidently as mine play both, for the school and for the village/town! I love mud!
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Labyrinth2 wrote:Anyone know how Tiffin Boys get away with not having a football team ?
Tiffin offers a good range of sport. Access to Rowing for an example is an amazing opportunity given it is a state school. The Basketball also is of a very high standard due to the backing from staff and there is Rugby, Cricket, Tennis etc... It can never be possible to do everything with limited resources.
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Labyrinth2

Post by Labyrinth2 »

Sorry - I have only just found out there is no football . My son did well in the test and highly likely he will be offered a place given previous cut off marks etc. Problem - he loves football and this wold really affect his/our decision about whether to go for this or WU. I know he hasn't actually been offered a place yet but looks likely. I know they are both very different schools anyway but were seriously considering going for Tiffin. Strange as I know Eton and other 'snobby' schools offer football.Oh dear - he really is obsessed with Football !
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Don't know if this helps, but apparently Lawrence Dallaghio was really into football until her started a school that played (only?) rugby.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Labyrinth2 wrote:Problem - he loves football and this wold really affect his/our decision about whether to go for this or WU.
Everyone has different criteria for school selection. I'm sure some near the cut-off would be happy if you decided to decline a place!
(For top quality players aren't they are likely to be involved in their sport at club level rather than just school sport?)
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
doodles

Post by doodles »

No football at our school either, just rugby, though there are plenty of other sports on offer as well.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

The lovely thing about footy is all players get a go at club level (round here anyway) as they have volts teams in most clubs too.

School rugby US normally Saturday, so he would still get yo play Sunday matches, and some Saturdays probably...assuming he took up rugby?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now