Wilson's success?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Utopia

Re: Wilson's success?

Post by Utopia »

Has anyone turned down a place at Wilson's in favour of an indie? If so, what are your reasons?
Nims

Post by Nims »

Hi,

As my DS got into Wilson's, we are planning to move to Surrey. Can anyone advice which location would be best for us to rent? I work from Central London and my wife works in Berkshire. We are ready to sacrifice our job timings to ensure our son doesn't have to travel much. An added complication though would be that our younger son would go in year 1 from Sep hence a nearby good primary school would also be priority.

I would really appreciate any guidance on this.

-N.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Croydon or Sutton would give you good access to Central London.
Sutton also has good primaries.
But is your wife planning to stay in Berks during week or working days?

Or you could make things manageable by staying in Berkshire and choosing local grammar.
Chillyraisin

Post by Chillyraisin »

Congratulations !

We were looking to rent last year so did some research on primary as my
youngest is in nursery. Have a look at this primary

http://www.avenue.sutton.sch.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Hope this helps. Good luck with everything. Xx
Nims

Post by Nims »

Hi tiffinboys, thanks for your inputs. I was considering Croydon earlier as that would be convenient for school as well as travel to C. London however some of my colleagues told me that it might not be a very safe area. I have never been there except when my son was appearing for his Wilson's test. Are there particular areas you would know and suggest that are safe to explore there? Sutton might be a good option however the Google map shows bus service from Sutton to Wilson's taking around an hour!
We have decided to go for Wilson's hence no looking back for local grammars :)

Hi Chillyraisin, thanks for your wishes. Avenue school certainly looks good and we'll keep that as a viable option if we move to Sutton.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Area very close to Wilson's would be Wallington; but don't know about primary school situation there.

From Sutton, bus to Croydon Road/Plough Lane Junction would take less than 30 minutes and from there bus to Wilson's is another 5 minutes or less or walk is about 15 minutes. Or take bus from Sutton to Wallington and then another bus to Wilson's. Small local hoppers take very long, may be that's what comes out in tfl journey planner.

As to safety, Croydon has some reputation. If it is very bad, I am not sure as number of people live there and you would find many children coming to Wilson's from that area.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Utopia wrote:Has anyone turned down a place at Wilson's in favour of an indie? If so, what are your reasons?
We turned down Wilson's for Olave's :)

Wilson is also a wonderful school and wasn't in our preference list due to location.

Thanks to all fellow parents and our tutor for putting us in this comfortable situation.
Nims

Post by Nims »

Wow! And we turned down St.Olave's for Wilson's :lol:
kast

Post by kast »

Hi
Same story here as well.We also turned down St Olaves for Wilsons.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

I know boys travelling from west wickham /Shirley to Wilson's. Might be a nicer area to consider ?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now