Wilson's success?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loopylou

Re: Wilson's success?

Post by loopylou »

I agree Peridot. There comes a point when any benefits gained from attending a top school are heavily eroded by an excessive the journey time. It is such a key factor in a child's happiness, wellbeing and how much they get out of school. Local friendships too are very important as is adequate time in the evenings to do things other than travel and homework.

People relocating show admirable dedication but (and I hope I don't get told off for raising this) I always feel sorry for any younger siblings involved. A few people this year have asked about access to good primary schools in areas where, realistically, this will prove very tricky to secure. Their youngest child will be leaving an established class and may well end up with a relatively poor performing primary where they know nobody. People who have lived in SW London all their lives and who apply on time cannot get into the favoured primary schools let alone people moving at such short notice.

I also wonder what will happen to those younger siblings if the parents won’t or can’t adopt the same principle with them. If they enter every 11+ exam in the South of England but don't get a place near home, will the parents uproot again to move midway between the older and younger child's schools or will the first move mean the younger child is confined just to schools in the new area and possibly miss out on the same chance at grammar school as the oldest?

There is a lot to think about when choosing a school but some sacrifices possibly aren’t worth the gains anticipated especially if a bright child has good options closer to home.
J50

Post by J50 »

loopylou wrote:I agree Peridot. There comes a point when any benefits gained from attending a top school are heavily eroded by an excessive the journey time. It is such a key factor in a child's happiness, wellbeing and how much they get out of school. Local friendships too are very important as is adequate time in the evenings to do things other than travel and homework.

People relocating show admirable dedication but (and I hope I don't get told off for raising this) I always feel sorry for any younger siblings involved. A few people this year have asked about access to good primary schools in areas where, realistically, this will prove very tricky to secure. Their youngest child will be leaving an established class and may well end up with a relatively poor performing primary where they know nobody. People who have lived in SW London all their lives and who apply on time cannot get into the favoured primary schools let alone people moving at such short notice.

I also wonder what will happen to those younger siblings if the parents won’t or can’t adopt the same principle with them. If they enter every 11+ exam in the South of England but don't get a place near home, will the parents uproot again to move midway between the older and younger child's schools or will the first move mean the younger child is confined just to schools in the new area and possibly miss out on the same chance at grammar school as the oldest?

There is a lot to think about when choosing a school but some sacrifices possibly aren’t worth the gains anticipated especially if a bright child has good options closer to home.

Yes completely agree. Find it bizarre that people would move areas just for a school. One thing about travelling times though is not to underestimate them... we live 6 miles from Hampton School, and it shows it as being a 15 minute drive right now on Google maps (sounds about right). Yet first thing in the morning, I have heard that the school bus from here to Hampton can get caught up queuing in horrendous traffic, and take 1-1.5 hours!
Nims

Post by Nims »

So Sutton it is! We have decided to move to Sutton (one check box ticked :P ). Now the next task is to go for a very good Public/Private primary school for my younger one.

For us, best education for kids is the topmost priority without making them travel much. As far as pressure is concerned, we wanted our elder one to appear for only 2 grammar entrance exams however he was the one who pushed us to fill many more forms for him. He is actually more of studious kind than a sports one. I was also worried how he would fair if appearing in so many exams. By God's grace, he cleared all including QE, St.Olave's, Reading Boys, Wallington County etc. He was rather cross with me why I didn't let him sit for Tiffin, Slough etc!!

Now, its time to focus on little one. Search for a great primary school in Sutton begins...now! :)

We are even ready to reduce job timings or change our jobs to live in Sutton and ready to go for a good private school if it comes to that situation. Moving houses is the least we could do for our kids' good education! All of you are great in terms of great suggestions...any input on best private primary schools in Sutton where your kid/s is/are studying would be more than welcome!!

Thanks a ton.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Good choice. Good Luck with your search for suitable house and good primary school.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Nims wrote:@parent2013
League teables could be misleading...refer this one
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/le ... hools.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or this one
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/Parent_Power/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hmmm... I did have a look and it appears that the top ones from Olavians have done better not only in terms of getting A* but also securing places in Oxbridge/Medicines.

Olave %A* is 29.4%
Wilson %A* is 25.6%
Hedwig

Post by Hedwig »

Thanks for that info. Parent13 :lol:

It would seem that Wilson's continue to get spectacular results even without shipping in A* girls at sixth form. Wow - well done to them!

Whilst you seem intent on proving that St Olaves is the very best school in the entire universe, I think it's fair to say that the superselectives are pretty much similar and any over-analysis of any aspect of the schools or their results is merely splitting hairs. They are all fabulous ... St Olaves included :D
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Very well said. I accept that these schools are more or less similar.

My unbiased view is that it is up to the individual child where he/she can prosper academically and in sports etc. Also depends on personal circumstances on which location suits you in terms of house, dropping/collecting & siblings etc.

The positives I've heard about Wilson is that it has fewer bullying incidents and better pastoral care (than Olave's).

Good luck to you all at Wilson & Sutton.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Also worth remembering...

League tables do not paint a picture of the whole school

Not everyone wants to study medicine...

Px
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Hedwig wrote: It would seem that Wilson's continue to get spectacular results even without shipping in A* girls at sixth form. Wow - well done to them!................ I think it's fair to say that the superselectives are pretty much similar and any over-analysis of any aspect of the schools or their results is merely splitting hairs. They are all fabulous ... St Olaves included :D
Peridot wrote: League tables do not paint a picture of the whole school
Not everyone wants to study medicine...
Px
+1