Tiffin Boys or Hampton

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Labyrinth2

Tiffin Boys or Hampton

Post by Labyrinth2 »

My son has had his place at Tiffin confirmed. he has offers from indies - due to distance from home we have narrowed it down to Hampton and Tiffin. I have had invaluable and positive information about Tiffin from the forum and we are leaning towards it - however, my daughter is at an indie and now am wondering whether we should give my son the same . Thought it would be an easy decision - it's not .
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin Boys or Hampton

Post by tiffinboys »

Labyrinth2 wrote: Thought it would be an easy decision - it's not .
Indeed. Usually the finances settles it. But if that's not the problem, then the State schools can not match the facilities of indies, though Tiffin is a good match. The class sizes may also be smaller and as well, the after-school activites may be more. If these things are important to you, then Hampton may be the answer.

What does your DS think? Is he happy with Tiffin?
Hera

Post by Hera »

Hampton used to be a Grammar and has kept something of that ethos. It converted to a private school when the grammar schools were scrapped in the 70s. If I had a choice between the 2 and funds were not an issue I would chose Hampton.
minicab

Post by minicab »

I might be biased, but if I would have the money and live closer to Hampton it would be a no brainer: Hampton. Is offering a very wide range of activities, has a fantastic ethos and would make any boy (and his parents) proud.
As a live only 200 yards from Tiffin and more importantly do not have the finance, it is easy for me: Tiffin especially as I have one of my boys already there.
Another thing to consider is that you do not want in 5-10-20 years time your son to say: mum/dad you care(pay) more for my sister than me! Unfortunately children sense if there is a imbalance in the attention they get from their parents and sooner or later they will let you know.
You will not go wrong with either of the schools, but maybe is better to ask your son as well.
Good luck with your choice!
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Labyrinth2 wrote:however, my daughter is at an indie and now am wondering whether we should give my son the same
Seems like that is a significant factor. If you have the £££ Hampton seems the logical choice. Both are good schools... Hampton has better facilities due to their budget.
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
dearcoty

Post by dearcoty »

I know several boys in similar situations who went to Hampton after explaining the choice to the school and then being offered a scholarship (or possibly additional scholarship) so it might be worth having a chat with them if that would be attractive.

One other thought, totally IMHO, my impression is that boys at Tiffin are expected to just get on with their work etc with very little guidance (which many thrive on) whereas Hampton can be more supportive; so it might also depend on your ds's character which one would be the more conducive environment.

Congratulations on a fantastic situation to be in though and very best of luck with your choice; you can't really go wrong with either.
Labyrinth2

Post by Labyrinth2 »

Thank you all for your thoughts and time- we have happily decided on Tiffin. Funny how much you agonise over the decision but in the end because of advice and thoughts from friends and on this forum we make it with some confidence. We found it didn't come down to fee paying or not - but to what the school offered and what it means to achieve a place which cannot be underestimated. Most importantly my son is really looking forward to going there and that means everything. Thanks again.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Great.. and you can put the Hampton fees in your boy's saving account. He would be really grateful to finish Uni without debt hanging on his head. :lol:
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

Is Hampton £120,000 plus better than Tiffin?