New School - what do you think? What's your name choice?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiffinboys

Re: New School - what do you think? What's your name choice?

Post by tiffinboys »

Unfortunately, most of our councillors seem to have a very slow thinking process. They understand the issue only when they are no longer the councillor.
loopylou

Post by loopylou »

The primary school bulge years are about to descend on the borough's secondary schools though and there's nowhere in Kingston immune to traffic chaos. All of the bus routes are very busy and they are all used by hoards of school children. Most of the roads get heavily congested at school times too. This school at least is located where real shortages already exist.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

MSC wrote:The name of the school is yet to be decided but the four shortlisted names are Kingston Academy, River Park, Hawker Academy Secondary School after aircraft pioneer Harry Hawker and The Cesar Picton Free School in honour of a coal merchant from Kingston who had a rags to riches story".
River Park because is sounds posh. :D
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

River Song would be even better. Played by Alex... Kingston, geddit... Sorry, it's late; need to go to bed.
MSC

Post by MSC »

Hmm..

River Park - one parent said that night "it sounds like a Primary School" - was submitted by a young boy apparently. Nothing wrong with that of course. Its rather cute.

Hawkers Academy Secondary School - has great history behind it, but internationally ( especially in Asia / East and I was told especially in South Africa!) , it has a really negative connotation, as hawkers means " lowly " street vendors paddlers eking a living on the street. A few South Africans in the meeting were cringing at the thought of it, there are a lot of SA in Kingston. I think the real meaning and significance of "Hawkers" in Kingston is easily lost.

Ceaser Picton - a great local story of triumph of an African in England - I can picture this a a name for a primary school or nursery.

Kingston Academy - if we ignore the recent politics that stained the "academy" name, and go back to the time when it was a prestigious term , e.g. Military Academy, Royal Academy of Music..etc.. then actually its very strong name.

Any thoughts?
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

How about 'Kingston High School'?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

That sounds quite good, Tabasco. Rival to Kingston Grammar
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

Just read up about Cesar Picton, an inspirational story and a reminder that people of colour have been around in the area for a long time, so a fitting name. I don't like "free school" though, High School or Academy sound better. I quite like Kingston University School (a bit like University College School?). Otherwise as has been said I would run a competition for local kids to name it.

Assuming some kids (and teachers) will travel by 65, it really needs to be sorted out. It is a nightmare at the moment, the school seems to have given up sanctions for lateness as far as my daughter is concerned, but luckily she is leaving school in a few weeks.
MSC

Post by MSC »

So its decided it seems - its Kingston Academy, or The Kingston Academy.

http://www.kingstonguardian.co.uk/news/ ... ?ref=var_0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you all think?

Now they can get on with getting it ready for Sept 2015 .
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)