SGSPTA Sutton G Mock Exams - new session

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Womblemania

Re: SGSPTA Sutton G Mock Exams - new session

Post by Womblemania »

DD got a really great result. 15% difference between English and Maths, maths was higher but overall excellent result.

Don't think the discrepancy between the two is an issue as the maths results seem in general to be higher.

Slight dilemma is whether to tell her how well she did as a) don't want her to get complacent and b) don't want to it to be playground gossip. She's incredibly mature so could most likely handle it. Thoughts?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Don't tell her the mark just say she is on track if she continues to work hard.

I've seen too many good mock results not resulting in high final grades/scores.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I know the students who came joint top, 3rd in Maths and 5th in English and their parents will not be congratulating them or letting them feel complacent. Their results looked good because others did badly but these were not high results and would be low in any of the selectives in North London. A place in the second round at Mill Hill and a top 1% result in Session B would be good targets to aim for now. DG
Womblemania

Post by Womblemania »

DD was top student overall I think with 269 and 2nd in both English and maths but that's based on me skimming the table as I don't think you can sort it? I will take on board the advice not to tell her, will just give her a steer that she is on track and to keep working.

Interesting that you don't think these were particularly high scores? 96 in maths sounds good to me but do you think it wasn't hard compared to what she'll sit in the grammars Autumn and the Indies in January? In truth, we are aiming for Indies, with a punt on a scholarship - though we know this is a long shot given the competition.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The student I know also got 269 with 1st in English 81% and 94% in Maths so joint top with your dd! We have two lovely spreadsheets all sorted into ranks that parents have done for us. There is usually one on here. Mitasol usually does one but I am happy to send them both to anyone who pms me with their email address. This is the fifth year I have been tracking scores and the Maths was good, same as last year but the English was bad. 81% last year would have put you in the top 8% but not top. Which schools are you applying for? Are you doing Sutton Paper B and Mill Hill? DG
Womblemania

Post by Womblemania »

Glad my skimming was accurate! Would be interesting to see the Excel spreadsheet if anyone has it.

DD got 96% in maths and 80% in english. Not planning on doing any other mocks now as the Sutton Grammars and Tiffin will be our mocks in the run up to the indies in January. DD is a voracious reader and an avid puzzler so I think we will carry on doing what she enjoys.

We have our eyes on Putney High, Wimbledon High and JAGS. May also try Old Palace at the lure of a 50% scholarship is tempting. St Pauls is also tempting but not quite us I think.

So nice to be able to acknowledge how well she has done, even it not in 'public'!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

As I said, I have two Excel spreadsheets with sorted results that can be sent to an email address. Are you planning to do a VR mock at all or will the states be your VR mocks? Are you at a prep schools at the mo? Why would you think St Pauls was not you? DG
MSC

Post by MSC »

Was just thinking of asking whose DCs scored the two 269s and here you are discussing it!! Well done..pheww..most of the high scores are girls it seems. My DC certainly has a lot more practice to do with speed. A bit worried now..
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)
redstar

Post by redstar »

Don't worry MSC, it really is a long time until September and timings will improve with practice.
It helped us to narrow down exactly which areas were slow eg by breaking a 50 minute paper into a few sections and seeing which types of questions took the longest (a) to work on speed and (b) to realise that these were the "slowest" marks and maybe best to target other areas first to score points.
The nice thing about the Sutton mocks is how many people take them - from different regions, and aiming for different schools - so you are comparing against a very broad range of abilities, not all of them will be there for the real thing.
Good luck to your DC!
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Womblemania: just to throw in another opinion... two years ago my DD was, I think, third or fourth overall in the tables for the Sutton Mock, although I can't remember her actual scores. It was a pleasant surprise for us and we did decide to tell her and congratulate her, as it gave her confidence and made her feel capable. As I've said before it was the result of the mock that made both us and her realise she was the right calibre for grammar school. Of course everyone's child is different but with mine we felt it was the right thing to do. She continued to score consistently well after that and didn't become complacent.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now