11+ Super Selective Maths Book on Amazon

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fatbananas

Re: 11+ Super Selective Maths Book on Amazon

Post by fatbananas »

leanmeamum wrote:
J50 wrote: Habs or MGS had a question which used the concept of factorials in it, though it did explain the basics at the beginning of the question.

Would have been MGS as they give explainations before the questions in the part 2 paper
Does not the fact that they are both private schools have some bearing on the content of their exam paper?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
J50

Post by J50 »

fatbananas wrote:
leanmeamum wrote:
J50 wrote: Habs or MGS had a question which used the concept of factorials in it, though it did explain the basics at the beginning of the question.

Would have been MGS as they give explainations before the questions in the part 2 paper
Does not the fact that they are both private schools have some bearing on the content of their exam paper?
Indeed. Well done!
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Are you being sarcastic J50?
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Ooh hope no one is implying that you have to be cleverer at maths to get into private school...! From the experience of my children's cohorts and who got into which school, this is certainly not true in Surrey. Several who didn't make the cut for the Tiffin schools by a long chalk in those years managed to gain places at Hampton, Kingston Grammar (confusingly not actually a grammar school), Surbiton High etc. I feel a hissy fit coming on!!! I'll just have a sit down in a nice darkened room...
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I was pointing out that looking at the maths exam of a private school is not comparable with looking at the maths exam for a state school, so I was agreeing with those who thought there was a degree of escalation in the amount/ level of maths required for grammars, even for the Tiffin/ Wilson Holy Grail.

As you say, Peridot, those who are able enough to get into Tiffin, clearly do as well as those at schools like Hampton or KGS (both of which used to be grammars) when it comes to GCSE/ A'level.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Those children whose parents are sufficiently engaged to be discussing factorials when driving in their cars will probably do well wherever they go!

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Indeed fb: the exam results are the crucial factor. When you consider that private schools interview after exam stage so they can hand pick their successful candidates and achieve a nice mix of the abilities they want for their particular school (academic, dramatic, sporting, musical, whatever) and grammar schools select only on one or two exam sessions, I am constantly amazed by the standards achieved by grammars. Schools with common entrance exams can hand pick more later too!

Of course every year there are a few that don't make the grade to carry on into sixth form at Tiffin and elsewhere (have I possibly mentioned over-tutored children before....?) and these are replaced by new sixth-formers who apply from other schools. This keeps those A level results consistently good.

Sorry, digressed slightly there from the maths topic.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

SunlampVexesEel wrote:Those children whose parents are sufficiently engaged to be discussing factorials when driving in their cars will probably do well wherever they go!

Regards
SVE

Even if it up the kerb, or into the back of the car in front! :lol:
J50

Post by J50 »

A hint of sarcasm, yes, regarding an irrelevant comment. The original comments about the exam papers were merely to illustrate the theory about stretching a child (to a degree) in maths and how this could have a positive impact on results in the relatively easier exam. The example of factorials only served to illustrate this thought and the exam paper perhaps show how should a question could come up about a higher level topic, the ability to answer the question might be enhanced by at least recognising the subject matter. Obviously it wasn't from a Tiffins paper, just some random one I found in order to make the hazy days of summer feel even longer.

Uninterestingly, they didn't call it factorial at my school, they called it 'Bang' which made n!/(n-r)!r! much easier to say and remember.

I just tested him on the concept again as it has been a while since that car journey full of 'Bangs', and he seems to have retained the information which is good.

Right, back to the Hobbit now in order to brush up on those tricky maths questions... :D
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I just tested him on the concept again as it has been a while since that car journey full of 'Bangs',

See, I said someone couldn't drive and teach factorial maths at the sane time! Concentrate on the road ahead next journey!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now