Failed every mock exam :(

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
panicattack

Re: Failed every mock exam :(

Post by panicattack »

I do think that many of the 11 plus exams run by tutorial companies are set at a level which means most may fail. It's how they get their business. The Sutton mock is a much more objective test but even that's only a guide. Just keep going and encourage your child. It sounds that she is dealing with it quite calmly so just give it a go. She can only do her best.
nadkha

Post by nadkha »

Thanks ladies for all your advice, I really really appreciate it.

My daughter has been to a couple of the open days and she says she would like to go to one of the GS' s but she doesn't really push herself.

She is better in maths than English. I am doing past papers with her. She scores around 55- 60 per cent in the English and 70-80 percent for the maths.

Her english just seems to have stagnated. I have identified the problem in that she will read the text in comprehension and just answer the questions without often referring back to the text. I have told her over and over again she must refer back to the text but it falls on deaf ears. She also has a problem with inference. She's not a big reader and that's where another problem lies.

What percentages in past papers do you think DC should be scoring to pass the exams? If indeed that can be used as a benchmark?
J50

Post by J50 »

Depends which past papers I think as they are not all created equal! Son is doing Bright Sparks and GL VR/NVR papers for Tiffin and moment and doesn't get less than 94%. Maths and Eng is a bit more random as these are for Independent schools in Jan but in Maths - Bond 12+ he gets 95%+, Bond 11+ papers 80%+ but these are harder than the 12+ book. In the Bond 11+ English he's around 80% usually. I think you will struggle with English at that level you are at, but we also have the reading issue as he's not a big reader and you can't force that on them easily!!
copella

Post by copella »

Both my DS did not like reading, anything complicated was put aside. However I read to them and we would then discuss what I had read. This meant we got through books quicker and we would think together so they weren't just relying on their own thoughts which were pretty low level and basic as they didn't want to do it. Sharing and discussing made them expand their thinking. Her English levels will,however need to improve, I doubt that she would get into any of the North London selectives on her current scores, but you may have a chance in less selective areas.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I don't know so much about the Surrey consortium schools, as when my daughter sat Nonsuch it was an exam just for that school - the content has changed a lot in the last two years. But if you are aiming for Tiffin Girls' I would make sure her VR/NVR scores are reliable first (and she does need to be scoring around 90% for each of those). If she scores very highly in these, and if her maths is also strong she might be able to get away with slightly lower English reading and writing scores in the second stage exam as the scores of all the tests are added together to create the final mark. Do check their admissions page to see if that's changed though.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

This is educated guesswork but I would think at least 80% plus if within catchment and perhaps 85% plus if outside?
You'll never really know percentages as they only give out standardised scores.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

I must admit my last posting related to another question on the forum. For TGS, I reckon you probably need to be getting 85% plus in practice papers to be in with a shout but don't be deterred if you are getting a bit less. Give it a go.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

nadkha wrote:...DD has taken about 6 so far and failed each one.
"Failed" doesn't really have any meaning. It's her ranking that counts... she really needs to be in the top 25% to have any realistic chance (however even working out what 25% means is a bit hard since you have no idea whether the sample of kids taking these tests represents the candidates she will be up against for the real tests.
nadkha wrote: Are these mock exams quite representative of the actual exams?
IMHO No. They are likely to be of a different standard. Either much easier (likely) or harder (exam centre trying to convince you how much you need their services!)

Just do your best but be prepared for not making the grade, consider your back-up plan very seriously; the real tests are very very tough and added to that performance on the day counts for everything.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Marabu

Post by Marabu »

I looked for a post like this because I have the same issue. My DS did several of these mocks as I thought it would give him some good exercise, get him used to the test environment, etc. Also, these tests have to be booked well beforehand as they are all oversubscribed (so they say), and can't be cancelled as there is no refund for many of them without a very good reason.

Also, I think once one has invested so much time and emotion into the whole process, it is difficult to just drop the whole thing and will send the wrong message to the child.

Anyway, here is my story. My DS did a few mocks, but was ranked absolute or near bottom of each.

We were trying to go for the super selectives as they are the only ones he can go to from our area. However, following these tests, I now know for sure that there is no way he is going to get in. I feel so sorry for him as he is very hard working and really wants to do this. He even asks me to do Maths, English, NVR, etc (CEM style) with him on a daily basis and we do around 2 hours work each day. He does reasonably well when he is at home and has time, but these tests are not for those with time, as we all know....

He attends a renowned tutor class each Saturday and I work with him other days. While he has moved to the top spot in his school, he is at the bottom of the class for the 11+. I am realistic enough to know that he won't get in, as with just over one month to go until the test, he has little chance.

Like your DC, he has a problem with comprehension. We have spent a lot of time talking through the pieces, etc and I know that he has progressed, but not enough to make it. The secret is really for the DC to read, but some really don't like reading. I have a DD, who was reading very high level books at age 9, but not my DS, even though we have tried very hard reading to him every night, getting him to read to us, going through stories, etc, etc.

I know what is needed as my DD went through the whole process a few years ago and got ranked 97 out of 1680 children in one superselective school test and 64 out of 500 in another (if I remember correctly), and she consistently got high marks right from the beginning without much tutoring. We did work hard together too, but that was mainly to get the speed up. She is in a top grammar school in London and has no problem keeping up.

I wanted to give my DS the same opportunity. It is painful to come to the realisation that he won't make it, especially in the case of my DS as he is so willing to learn and spend time doing this. He is really motivated. For this reason, I will keep on learning with him right to the (bitter) end even though I know he won't get in. He will go for test and I shall praise him for doing them. The way I see it, is that the time learning together is time spent well and at least he will have an excellent grounding for year 6 and the comprehensive that he will be going to.

I'm not sure if this helps you, but I feel a bit better now, having unburdened myself :) I never try to let him know where he ranks in those mock tests as that will completely destroy him as he is quite sensitive. I just try to guide him in the areas where I can see he hasn't done well. He is a very intelligent boy because he does really well on the NVR. He gets them all right, but its the Maths that he is not fast enough with and the English that he doesn't understand quickly enough. I think a lot of it also has to do with maturity. He is clearly not ready and while that is sad, it is a fact of life I have had to come to terms with despite all the many hours that we have put in.

Good luck with your DC. I believe that fate will decide what is best in the end.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Marabu wrote: I believe that fate will decide what is best in the end.
Fate may decide what is best in the end.The reality is you are trying to place your child in a school for the next 5 to 7 years and what matters is your child will be the most happiest and healthiest for those years in that school.If an academic environment is right for them and they will be happy and healthy then this is the direction to be pursued.For some children years of struggle if they are on the borderline and get in, will not lead to happiness and good health. Whilst I accept education is a very good route to social mobility it is not the only route.There are many in all walks of life who make an impact in many different ways who have never taken an 11 plus exam and indeed many who have failed them.

Mental pressure can be demoralising and debilitating and lead to much unhappiness at all levels.I remember about 30 years my elder sister telling me about her neighbours son who had committed suicide.He had finished his first year in Oxford and believed he had failed his first year exams.He hadn't. Similarly another girl (whose father I know) about 4 years back took a year out from Oxford suffering from depression.

As responsible parents sometimes we shouldn't push so hard and sometimes take a step back whilst ensuring our siblings are going to enjoy the steps they are going to take in their education and in their lives.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now