Second stage test - Sutton Grammer schools..

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
grtmum

Re: Second stage test - Sutton Grammer schools..

Post by grtmum »

Thanks Lady Muck.

You mean to say there will be only single piece of writing for about 50 mts? If so can't beleive what will write for about 50 mts? :o
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted to remove test content.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grtmum

Post by grtmum »

Thank you Ladymuck.

That's very good information. Appeciate your patience and time in giving such a long reply.

Thanks a lot.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Ladymuck, you have posted so much useful information about stage 2 English tests that perhaps these needs to be put together in in one sticky thread. Thank you.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Last edited by Ladymuck on Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kateJ

Post by kateJ »

Ladymuck wrote:They'll give an exercise to do. They did a newspaper report last year, so that may not come up again, but as an example of the sort of thing which might come up, this is one of the exercises which ds was set:

Read carefully the passage, The Beast of Bodmin Moor, in the Reading Booklet.

You are the journalist. Write a newspaper article for the local newspaper based
on your visit to the moor, with the title ‘Big Cat or Tall Story?’.
In your newspaper article you should comment on:
• what the local people believe about the ‘beast’
• your own memories and your experience while driving across the moor
• your opinions on the ‘beast’ and the locals, and predictions for the future.
Base your newspaper article on what you have read in the passage, but use your own words.

Begin the newspaper article "Last week I went on a trip down memory lane to investigate a long standing mystery."

It is also worth having a look at the extended SPAG writing task in the last few years SATS level 6 paper. Looking at http://www.satspapers.org/englishKS2SATS.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you can also see the marking summary.

So yes, assume 10 minutes for reading, similar for planning and then writing around 2 sides of A4 in the remaining time. With 40% of the total mark riding on the writing section it would appear that Wilson's is putting a lot of weight on it. As they did a newspaper report last year, I guess formats this year could be a letter, a report, an interview or a diary entry. They have done more traditional stories in the past as well, but they found that a number of prep schools overprepared their pupils, who arrived with scenes already prepared to slot into any title. A change to a more response-driven piece of writing should help avoid children arriving trying to fit in pre-rehearsed paragraphs.

This will only be the second year of the latest format, but it sounds as if SPAG and Comprehension were tested in the first round (as was the case last year). Last year all 3 boys schools just tested writing in round 2, but WCGS has indicated that there will be 4 written responses required this year in a 40 minute paper.
Thank you Ladymuck for such a detailed response ( echoing Tiffin Boys here) I have just googled Bodmin Moor' and have found this exact question is taken from an IGCSE specimen paper!

If these new 11+ exams are supposed to level the playing field and make them tutor proof then they will have to lower the bar I think. My children, who were at state primary school never studied English to this level.
PK73

Post by PK73 »

I am following this Forum since last few days, its very usefull.

Any idea on the number of DD's that sat for 2nd level tests in Wallington today? It didnt appear they were around 900 by the look of it.
Ahmedfamily

Post by Ahmedfamily »

PK73 wrote:I am following this Forum since last few days, its very usefull.

Anyiidea on the number of DD's that sat for 2nd level tests in Wallington today? It didnt appear they were around 900 by the look of it.
Hi, well there was a morning and an afternoon slot so probably around the 900 mark in total, I would say. :-)
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Last edited by Ladymuck on Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ahmedfamily

Post by Ahmedfamily »

Ladymuck wrote:There were 2 sittings today. Last year around 100 boys eligible for the 2nd round didn't appear at each school - I get the feeling that the catchments in place for the girls schools may put off some candidates.
Hi, on the subject of catchment areas - wallington girls first 100 are just based on test scores, is there any idea, say from last year, how many of these top hundred were actually out of catchment area?
Thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now