Wilsons Exam on 6 Oct 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ladymuck

Re: Wilsons Exam today

Post by Ladymuck »

Per Guest55 no test content must ever be revealed, so deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

@ladymuck

Exactly that's the problem, if I put my true preference as Wilson's on the top and one of the DC is not given the place due to his actual score then one DS will be given Wilson's and the other our nearest comp. and because one DS has been offered a place at Wilson's therefore he will not get the comp admission then. So neither I will be able to move to Sutton nor I will be able to put DSs at our local comp :(
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indiemom

Post by indiemom »

We live in Reading so we have Reading Boys but that is not my DSs first choice ( provided they both score high enough to get a place )
demitasse

Post by demitasse »

Hi indiemom,

I have heard of people (for various reasons) turning down higher preference schools offered, to go on the waiting list for a lower preference school. If, in your hypothetical scenario, DS1 is offered Wilson's and DS2 the local comp, you would be able to find out how high DS2 is on Wilson's waiting list. Then if there is not a realistic chance of his gaining a place from the waiting list you could, in theory, then turn down Wilson's for DS1 to go on the waiting list for local comp. If DS2 gained a place there, presumably you would be high on the list.

Might be risky and awful for the DS who gained the Wilson's place to have to turn it down. I guess it probably depends on how happy you all are with the local comp?

Does your moniker suggest that you are also looking at private options? If so, one at Wilson's and one at Trinity or Whitgift would work...

Good luck with your decision - it's hard enough doing one at a time so I feel for you!

Does anyone know why the Sutton grammar schools have stopped giving out scores for children who pass the tests?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

If I was in this situation, I would have chosen grammar in Reading as first choice and other nearby grammar (if any) as second choice and a local comprehensive as the third choice. If one boy get place in grammar in Reading and other in comprehensive in Reading, the problems as mentioned by Indiemum could be handled well.

Living in Reading, I would not chose Wilson's as the first choice, if place for the second one was doubtful, as the second one would not get place in Sutton's comprehensives while living in Reading. It's another matter if Indiemum could relocate to Sutton before 31 October.

Have the twins also sat for Berks or Slough test? If so, the results would make it pretty clear about the chances of both getting place in one of grammars there, provided they meet address requirements, if any. If think some schools require to be in catchment for a certain time before application.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gringo64

Post by Gringo64 »

I also have twin girls sitting Wallington Girls and Nonsuch exams. It is very stressful isn't it? I received the email saying that one of them had passed the SET at 10.30am and had to wait until 1.30pm to receive the email saying DD2 had passed.
Last edited by Gringo64 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
demitasse

Post by demitasse »

Ladymuck wrote:
Does anyone know why the Sutton grammar schools have stopped giving out scores for children who pass the tests?
In fairness the only reason that you would want the information is to be able to make a "better informed" decision for the CAF form, and essentially the schools don't want you to second guess the allocation system, they want you to put the schools in order of your true preference.
I get that the schools want as many people as possible to put them on the CAF and it must be irritating every year when people haven't understood that they need to put their true preference order. I know people who simply don't believe that the schools don't know the preference order, no matter how many times it has been explained to them.

For me it's not about the CAF, it's about the long months of uncertainty until March. If DD passed and we knew the pass mark, we would still put our true preference order on the form. If she had a good pass we could just be a bit more relaxed and if she had a borderline pass it would give us time to digest the fall back options (private or local comp). It's the limbo state that is a killer.

But hey, jumping ahead a bit here - she has to pass first before I get to limbo!

Sorry for hijacking the Wilson's thread :)