Wallington Boys Exam 11 Oct 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiffinboys

Re: Wallington Boys Exam 11 Oct 2014

Post by tiffinboys »

Quite agree with Ladymuck that all the boys would be facing the same paper. The best among the boys will move forward. But setting a very difficult and challanging paper will move the boundaries of coaching. Will next year, boys will prepare to KS4 papers, instead of KS2? There should be some way of looking at the papers if these were of appropriate standard.
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

tiffinboys wrote:Will next year, boys will prepare to KS4 papers, instead of KS2? .
I was just saying that to my other half TB! I think, like LM said, they really have to set it so hard because a lot of the kids are scoring 80+ . But it really then confirm that without the ability to pay for tutoring, it's an enormous challenge for a family. This makes me think a lot and wondering something could be done, at least in Kingston.

Did you say Tiffin School complain that there are not enough locals applying to Tiffin?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

YoungSuccess wrote:
Did you say Tiffin School complain that there are not enough locals applying to Tiffin?
That's what our LA thinks about low intake of local children into Tiffin. They had no stats to substantiate that argument. Tiffin on the other hand thinks that local parents are happy with their admission arrangements as very few comment about it year after year. I am the black sheep there. :wink:
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

tiffinboys wrote: That's what our LA thinks about low intake of local children into Tiffin. They had no stats to substantiate that argument. Tiffin on the other hand thinks that local parents are happy with their admission arrangements as very few comment about it year after year. I am the black sheep there. :wink:
Thanks. Maybe we should sit down for a coffee one day. Would be interested to know more.
Darbs

Post by Darbs »

My son found it very difficult too, he only completed 75% of the maths and that's his best subject, he said it was much harder than Wilsons.
Catlady

Post by Catlady »

My DS found maths very challenging at Wallington Boys too - it would be very helpful to know if anyone's DS did manage to complete the Maths paper because the time element was part of the problem. However some aspects, according to DS who is doing level 6 at present, were beyond him.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

My DS found the maths extremely hard and I'd say he's pretty good at maths. He has completed most of the MGS papers and said that there was no comparison with those papers and the maths yesterday. He didn't complete the paper either and when he chatted to the other boys during the break he didn't come across anyone who had completed it. He was really deflated last night - something I thought I'd never see with maths.
At least, as others say, they are all in the same boat. I just hope it doesn't dent their confidence. :(
Catlady

Post by Catlady »

Thanks Cocunuts for reply - seems to be familiar feedback from both our DS' - also several of his cohorts who had 'likely' response from St Olave's expressed same opinion.
CoolParent123

Post by CoolParent123 »

I can say, please be optimistic ...

The weightage for second stage maths could be between 33-35% leaving 65-67% for SET (first stage) and English second stage.

If the test is very difficult as the case this year, the average raw score will be low too.
If many children score in the mean (say with a difference of 5-8 marks separated each other), the chances of losing marks for age standardization will be low.
Also, those children who score marginally better than the average has a Good chance.

Last year my son seems to have attempted 17-18 questions and was confident of scoring 15 correctly. He was in Level 6 in Maths Level 5A in English at SATs. But I am sure Maths was much easier last year.

He got a place in WCGS in the end. So please be optimistic. Who knows you may get a surprise Good News :D
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

On a lighter note, I saw the girls (students) helping out with the queue yesterday, were they from Wallington High?! That was so nice of them, but what with the boys needing help? Can't they do the simple job themselves?!! :lol: :lol: :lol: